Canon announces the new full-frame EOS R mirrorless camera
posted Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 2:59 AM EDT
Canon has announced their first full frame mirrorless camera, the EOS R. Canon has also announced several new lenses to go along with the launch, calling this the launch of a "system" rather than just the launch of a new camera. As such, Canon is launching the EOS R with four new RF-mount lenses: 28-70mm f/2 L USM, 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, 50mm f/1.2 L USM and the 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM. Additionally, Canon has announced three different lens adapters (regular lens adapter, the addition of a control ring, and and adapter with drop-in filter functionality) to make the new EOS R compatible with all current EF lenses with, what Canon promises, no loss in performance but in some cases increases in performance.
- 30.3 megapixel full-frame sensor. This is the same sensor as the 5D Mark IV, repurposed for this camera.
- DIGIC 8 Processor
- New RF lens mount
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 5,655 AF points (manually selectable)
- ISO range: 100 - 40,000 expandable to 50 - 102,400
- Offers Eye AF, but it only works in single shot mode and must refocus between shots.
- Up to 8fps continuous shooting rate; 5fps with Servo AF
- 4K UHD video at up to 30fps at 480Mbps
- As is the case with the 5D Mark IV, 4K video has a 1.7x crop factor.
- Clean HDMI out for 4K 4:2:2 10-bit, internal 4:2:0 8-bit
- Canon LOG pre-installed
- HD video: 1080p60 & 720p120
- OLED EVF with 0.76x magnification
- Single SD card slot with UHS-II compatibility
- Uses LP-E6N battery pack (same as 5D Mark IV)
- CIPA-rated for 350 shots with EVF or 370 with LCD, higher in power saving modes
- Optional BG-E22 battery grip
- Flash sync speed 1/200 sec
- Three mount adapters for EF and EF-S lenses (excluding EF-M)
- When the camera is switched off, the shutter closes and shields the sensor from dust if/when you change lenses.
The Canon EOS R will retail for $2299 body only, and $3399 with the 24-105mm f/4 kit. For a full breakdown of specifications, check out our Canon R First Impressions.
• • •
Your pre-orders help this site!
Ordering through the links below will cost you nothing, but will be a
huge help in supporting the work we do.