DJI’s new Osmo Action camera offers stabilized 4Kp60 video and 12MP photos
posted Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 9:00 AM EDT
Though they have been dabbling in the hand-held, small camera market for a few years now, DJI is jumping into the deep end with their announcement of the Osmo Action camera, a compact 1/2.3 inch sensor camera that is waterproof, dustproof and shockproof as well as having the ability to continue operation even in subzero temperatures (more on all this below). In short, it's a true action camera designed to compete directly against the GoPro Hero and the Sony RX0 II.
The Osmo Action camera is small, but sports two LCDs to make content creation easier. Both the front and back of the camera sport color screens, with the rear 2.24 inch being a touchscreen that also has a water and fingerprint repellent coating.
As mentioned, the Osmo Action camera is shockproof (being able to withstand drops of up to 5 feet / 1.5 meters), waterproof (capable of operating at a depth of up to 36 feet /11 meters), and can operate in freezing temperatures (tested to withstand as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit / -10 degrees Celsius). To increase its water proofing, a waterproof case will be available increasing the camera's depth performance down to 60 meters (the case and other accessories are noted and explained below).
A 1/2.3-inch sensor records 12-megapixel photos and 4K video up to 60fps at 100Mbps. A three-glass aspherical lens design records low-distortion content and aids in reducing warping effects for improved scenes. The lens cap is finished with two layers of anti-fingerprint coating to keep the shot clean during use, as well as an anti-reflective coating to reduce the unwanted effects of lens glare.
The Osmo Action is the first DJI handheld camera to include "RockSteady," DJI’s Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) technology. High-performance stabilization algorithms work in conjunction with EIS to record every movement in smooth, stable, high-quality video, even when recording 4K/60fps. Additionally, Osmo Action is capable of High Dynamic Range (HDR) video in 4K/30fps, delivering an additional three stops of dynamic range to the scene, natural transitions between light and dark areas, and rich details that are often lost in complex lighting conditions.
Osmo Action has a removable battery with a run time of 93 minutes recording at 4K/30fps with RockSteady enabled, and 135 minutes recording at 1080p/30fps without RockSteady. Dual microphones let users take advantage of Osmo Action's Voice Control, and a speaker ensures outstanding playback quality.
The Osmo Action also includes the following features:
- Slo-mo: 8x slow motion in 1080p 240fps or 4x slow motion in 1080p 120fps creates a visually appealing effect when documenting action-packed scenes.
- Timelapse: To turn minutes into seconds, Timelapse is perfect for capturing unique content with the effect of the world moving faster.
- Custom Exposure settings: Shoot for the stars with manual and semi-automatic settings that allow up to 120 seconds of exposure, perfect for capturing the night sky.
Using the recently released DJI Mimo app, connect Osmo Action to your mobile device with WiFi or Bluetooth for added functionality, including a live feed of the camera, multiple story templates, in-app quick editing, and more. An ecosystem of accessories helps unleash all the possibilities of Osmo Action including:
- Camera Frame Kit: Included with Osmo Action, the Camera Frame Kit offers a universal mount for additional accessories and a window for the LED indicator to show camera status in real time while protecting the device.
- Adhesive Mounts: Attach Osmo Action to flat or curved surfaces including skateboards, bikes, helmets, and more to capture fast-paced moments. Both the curved and flat adhesive mounts are included with Osmo Action.
- Waterproof Case: The waterproof case protects the device at depths down to 60 meters while providing a clear image using high-strength glass.
- 3.5mm Adapter: The 3.5mm adapter offers users the ability to connect an external mic for professional sound recording.
- Extension Rod: Capture unique angles using the Extension Rod, which features a rotatable phone holder and a ¼-inch screw adapter.
- Floating Handle: The Floating Handle offers a comfortable grip for Osmo Action and keeps it floating when shooting in water.
- Filters: Osmo Action comes with Neutral Density (ND), Polarizer, and underwater filters. ND filters (ND4, ND8, ND16, and ND32) reduce light exposure in various environments, while Polarizer filters reduce reflections and increase color saturation for a more appealing image. Orange Seawater and Purple Freshwater filters restore the natural color of underwater scenes.
- Charging Hub: Charge up to three batteries simultaneously in less than 130 minutes.
The Osmo Action retails for $349 USD and will start shipping immediately from store.dji.com and from authorized dealers on May 22.