PRESS RELEASE: Canon Debuts Innovative "Easy-Scroll Wheel" Interface On Its New PIXMA MP810 And MP600 Photo All-In-One Printers
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., Aug 24, 2006 – Canon’s stylish new PIXMA MP810 and MP600 Photo All-In-One (AIO) printers give consumers high quality photos, fast scanning and copying in a package that is easy-to-use and looks attractive in a home environment. With the new Easy-Scroll Wheel interface found on these two models, consumers can control device functions quickly and simply. In addition, the bright, high-definition TFT LCD screens allow consumers to view and edit photos directly from the all-in-one.
“The Canon PIXMA MP810 and MP600 models’ stylish design and innovative interface makes these new multi-function devices an attractive addition to any home, that any member of the family can easily use,” said Yukiaki Hashimoto, senior vice president and general manager of the consumer imaging group at Canon U.S.A., Inc. “Now all generations within the family, from grandparents to grandchildren, can easily copy and print vivid photos or produce crisp, professional-looking documents with great ease.”
The Easy-Scroll Wheel and TFT Screen add to ease of use
Canon introduce the world’s first multi-function printers with the Easy-Scroll Wheel interface. Consumers can access document operations at a glance, including the copy, scan, or print functions by simply rotating the wheel to the desired feature and pressing the “OK” button. Users can now keep their eyes on the screen while selecting and executing functions, to give them full control at their fingertips. What’s more, Canon added the “HOME” and “NAVI” buttons to this device’s operational panel. When consumers push the NAVI button, it displays the machines on screen guide, which includes how-to recommendations for the most common functions. The HOME button allows users to return to the main menu, regardless of where they are in the sub-menus, assuring users that home is always just a click away. By adding the Easy-Scroll Wheel, HOME and NAVI buttons, Canon has been able to reduce the number of total buttons by approximately half compared to competing multifunction models.
The Easy-Scroll Wheel also includes a large, bright and colorful TFT-type LCD screen, which consumers can use to preview images before printing and photo editing. The screen is viewable at a 170-degree angle, so everyone around the unit can enjoy what is displayed, rather than just the person sitting directly in front of the AIO.
The PIXMA MP810 Photo All-In-One: Easy, Speedy, High-Resolution Machine
The PIXMA MP810 Photo All-In-One offers consumers a versatile device that can deliver a stunning maximum 9600 x 2400 color dpi1, and can produce a photo-lab quality 4 x 6 inch borderless photo in approximately 21 seconds2. Ink droplets can be as small as one picoliter for razor sharp photos, with virtually no visible grain, comparable to photo-lab results. The five-tank ChromaLife100 system supplies long lasting vibrant prints for years to come3, while the individual ink tanks feature Smart LED lights to alert the user to low ink levels and troubleshoot ink related installation issues.
PC-free photo printing is a snap with the MP810 model, allowing users to connect any PictBridge compatible digital camera or DV camcorder directly. Users can even print wirelessly through an IrDA interface or via an optional Bluetooth4 accessory. The MP810 AIO’s built-in memory card slots5 allows users to preview their images on the large three-inch TFT display, and perform basic editing functions, such as trimming, red-eye removal, and face-brightening. The three inch TFT screen makes navigating the Easy-Scroll Wheel menus and functions easy and fast.
For scanning of photos and important documents, the MP810 Photo All-In-One scans at a maximum optical resolution of 4800 x 4800 dpi, with vibrant 48-bit color depth. Besides excelling at digital prints, the MP810 Photo All-In-One also answers the question… “How do I archive that box full of old slides or negatives?” Users simply load their negatives or film slides into the provided adapter, and have a choice of scanning or making a direct photo print of their images without the need to use a computer.
In addition, the MP810 model has other great features that make it a compelling addition to the home or home office setup. The Advanced Paper Handling system, with its two paper trays and automatic two-sided printing allows users to store photo paper in one tray and plain paper in the other, so they don’t have to manually switch paper supplies. The Auto-Duplexing feature for documents and photos can help save paper, while allowing for greater creativity for crafting and photo projects.
The versatile and powerful PIXMA MP810 Photo AIO will carry an estimated selling price of $299.996.
The PIXMA MP600 Photo All-In-One: An Easy Way to get to the Photo-Lab
The Canon PIXMA MP600 AIO brings the photo lab to the home at an affordable estimated selling price of $199.996. It delivers stunning photo-lab quality prints at up to 9600 x 2400-color dpi1 and can produce a 4 x 6 inch borderless print in approximately 28 seconds2 with the look and feel of a traditional photo. The Easy-Scroll Wheel interface makes it simple for users to access the copy, scan and print functions quickly plus navigate and preview their photos on the 2.5-inch color TFT screen. Five individual ink tanks equipped with the Canon Smart LED technology can produce ink droplets as small as one picoliter for laser-sharp documents and virtually grain-free photos. The PIXMA MP600 Photo All-In-One supports auto-duplex printing for two sided documents or photos while users can also store up to 300 sheets of plain paper in the two included paper trays. Consumers can also scan images at a maximum of 2400 x 4800 dpi, while automatically performing reductions, corrections, and enlargements of their documents and photos.
When used with a supported Canon digital SLR, these new photo all-in-ones support the user-friendly Canon-to-Canon Direct Advantage. Connected via the PictBridge port, the Canon-to-Canon connection allows users to brighten faces, print shooting information on a print, or even print a contact sheet with up to 35 images - all directly from the camera controls without a PC. The Canon-to-Canon workflow allows consumers to take advantage of added convenience and power to produce outstanding image quality directly from the camera to the printer without the need for a PC.
Improved Copy Technology
All new additions to the Canon AIO line-up employ advanced copy technology to help give the user amazing reproductions of original images and documents. Dual Color Gamut Processing Technology improves color accuracy by independently controlling brightness, hue, and other elements to make sure that there are minimal differences between the original and the copy. Users can now avoid the frustrations that come with poor quality when making a copy of a copy. With Dual Color Gamut Processing Technology, documents remain sharp and photos look like they came from your neighborhood photo mini-lab. In addition, with Text and Image Separation Technology, the system can actually differentiate text from an image, making black text and fine lines dark and sharp when printing with pigmented black ink. Now when black text appears over an image, the text on the following generations of copies can be virtually as clear as the first. These technologies plus hardware improvements in scanning and printing can help make a copy almost indistinguishable from the original.
These new PIXMA photo AIO’s use the Canon ChromaLife100 system, including the FINE print head technology for great photo printing. When using select genuine Canon photo papers and inks, prints can resist fading for up to 100 years when stored in an archival quality photo album3. The up to 100-year-lifespan rivals that of many traditional film based photos, long considered by consumers to be the benchmark for image permanence. Prints produced on Canon Photo Paper Pro with ChromaLife100-compatible inks have an up to ten-year gas fastness when exposed to open air3. Prints created with the ChromaLife100 system, comprised of genuine Canon ink and photo paper, like Photo Paper Pro or Photo Paper Plus Glossy, have up to 30-year lightfastness when displayed under glass3.
Canon Creative Park
Looking to extend creativity beyond just photos and documents? Consumers can now try Canon's new Creative Park website at www.canon.com/c-park. The site offers 3-D paper craft projects, scrapbooking templates and embellishments, novel greeting cards, educational materials and the opportunity to learn more about digital photography.
Canon U.S.A., Inc. delivers consumer, business-to-business, and industrial imaging solutions. The company is listed as one of Fortune's Most Admired Companies in America and is rated #35 on the BusinessWeek list of "Top 100 Brands.” Its parent company Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ) is a top patent holder of technology, ranking second overall in the U.S. in 2005, with global revenues of $31.8 billion. For more information, visit www.usa.canon.com.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.
Specifications are subject to change with notice.
- Resolutions may vary based on printer driver settings. Color ink droplets can be placed with a horizontal pitch of 1/9600 inch at minimum.
- PPM print speeds are based on the highest speed printer driver mode using black and white and color text patterns. Photo print speeds are based on the standard mode driver setting using photo test pattern(s) and select Canon Photo Paper. Print speed measured as soon as first page begins to feed into printer and will vary depending on system configuration, interface, software, document complexity, print mode, types of paper used and page coverage. CPM copy speeds are based on fast mode setting using plain paper. Copy speeds will vary depending on system configuration, interface, software, document complexity, print mode, types of paper used and page coverage. See www.usa.canon.com/printspeed for additional information.
- Based on accelerated testing by Canon under controlled temperature, humidity, and gas conditions. For the 100 year figure, Canon simulated storage in an album with plastic sleeves. For the 30 year lightfastness figure, Canon simulated display of a photo in a glass frame in an indoor location without direct sunlight or other hoigh intensity light. The 10 year gas fastness figure is based on a testing ratio of gases typical to an indoor air composition (O3::NOx:SOx=3:19:1) with 100 times concentration in order to accelerate color fading. Canon cannot guarantee the longevity of prints; results may vary depending on printed image, drying time, display/storage conditions and environmental factors. See www.consumer.usa.canon.com/ChromaLife100 for additional details.
- Bluetooth v1.2 with optional Canon Bluetooth Unit BU-20. Bluetooth operation depends on the devices and software version used. Operating distance is approximately 10 meters but may vary due to obstacles, radio signals, locations where radio interference occurs, magnetic fields from microwave ovens, device sensitivity and/or antenna performance.
- Compatible memory cards include Compact Flash, Micro drive, Smart Media, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO , SD Card, and Multimedia card v.3.31. xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick Duo. Memory Stick PRO Duo, RS-MMC v.3..31 and minSD card requires an additional adaptor, which must be purchased separately.
- Pricing and availability are subject to change at any time. Actual prices are determined by individual dealers and may vary.
(First posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 at 00:00 EDT)