|NEW NIKON COOLPIX 5400 IS THE PERFECT TOOL FOR CREATIVE DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHERS|
Wide-Angle Coverage, 4x Optical Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens And Assortment of New Creative Features Focus On "Digital Artistry"
MELVILLE, NY, (EMBARGOED) May 28, 2003 (12:01 AM EST) – Nikon, the world leader in photography, today answers the call of creative digital photographers with the new 5.1-megapixel Nikon Coolpix 5400 (www.nikoncoolpix.com). This exciting advanced digital camera adds a new dimension to the popular Coolpix line of digital cameras and combines a host of enhanced features and design elements. With superior 4x Zoom-Nikkor ED optics, wide-angle coverage and the exclusive new Best Shot Selector (BSS) feature, the Nikon Coolpix 5400 provides the ideal tool for digital photographers who are serious about the art of photography. The durable and lightweight Nikon Coolpix 5400 is the perfect tool to enhance any advanced photographer’s creative imagination.
“The Nikon Coolpix 5400’s unique combination of legendary Nikon quality and exclusive new features take ‘digital artistry’ to an entirely new level. The camera’s unique features, like ultra close macro from less than 1/2 inch, to Time-lapse Movie Mode and incredibly sharp Nikkor ED glass, allow the photographer to expand their own creative horizons in very unique ways,” said Jerry Grossman, vice president, marketing, Consumer Digital Products and Compact Cameras, Nikon Inc. “The Nikon Coolpix 5400 is the epitome of Nikon photography incorporating rugged construction with intuitive design and the latest technology to produce incredibly versatile digital camera for creative photographers.”
Legendary Nikkor Optics – It Starts With the Lens
The lens on a digital camera plays a vital role in making the highest quality photos. The Nikon Coolpix 5400 employs a 4x Optical Zoom-Nikkor lens with Nikon’s Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass with a zoom range of 28-116mm (35mm equivalent) for incredibly sharp, vivid images. More professionals choose Nikkor lenses than all other brands combined, including the overwhelming majority of Pulitzer Prize-winning photographers, and that same quality is built into the Nikkor lens of every Nikon Coolpix digital camera, including the Nikon Coolpix 5400.
The Nikon Coolpix 5400 produces high quality images at sizes of up to 2,592 x 1,944 pixels for prints well beyond 16x20-inches in size. The camera allows for extremely fast operation and split-second precision with its enhanced Continuous Shooting Mode. The Nikon Coolpix 5400 will now fire 7 pristine, full-sized images, at a rate of 3 frames per second. In addition, there is an all-new 5 shot buffer mode, with 64 MB buffer, enabling the user to capture the last 5 images of a fleeting moment.
‘Digital Artistry’ – Digital Photography, Your Way
The Nikon Coolpix 5400 offers the ultimate in full creative control for the photographer. The Coolpix 5400 employs a host of new and exciting features, including:
- High Speed Operation: The Nikon Coolpix 5400 is among the fastest and most responsive in its class with minimal shutter lag and high-speed Autofocus. The camera offers a vast range of shutter speeds from 1/4,000 second up to 10 minutes.
- Shooting Control: Choose from Programmed Auto (P), Shutter-Priority Auto (S), Aperture-Priority Auto (A) or full Manual (M) exposure modes. The camera’s ISO ranges from 50 to 400, with noise reduction options.
- 256-Segment Matrix Metering: Nikon’s legendary metering system gets shots other brands of camera just can’t. Plus, you can choose Center-Weighted, Spot and Spot Autofocus metering.
- Ultra Macro: The Nikon Coolpix 5400 is capable of shooting subjects as close as 0.4 inches with extreme detail and clarity. Ultra Macro is supported by the exclusive Best Shot Selector (BSS) feature, which automatically chooses the sharpest of three images.
- Auto Exposure AE--BSS: Depending on whether you want the best Highlight, Shadow or Histogram detail, users can choose one using the appropriate AE-BSS setting. The camera will automatically select the best relative exposure from a series of shots based on user-selected choice.
- 7 Mode Flash, including: Rear Curtain Sync and Repeating Flash Modes introduce Coolpix photographers to creative flash photography and stroboscopic image capture. Users can attach an additional Speedlight to the built-in hot-shoe and take advantage of Nikon’s wireless Speedlight system.
- Vari-Angle LCD: The Nikon Coolpix 5400’s enhanced, fully-articulating LCD allows the photographer to shoot at virtually any angle in order to get the best shot. The LCD is also optimized for easy viewing in bright sunlight.
- Versatility: The Nikon Coolpix 5400 is compatible with Coolpix accessory lenses including the 1.5x ED glass teleconverter (TC-E15ED)(174mm*), the 0.8x Wide Angle Adapter (WC-E80)(23mm*) and the new Fisheye converter lens (FC-E9)(5.6 mm* for an unprecedented 190 degrees of coverage), as well as the Slide Copy Adapter (ES-E28) for copying slides.
* 35mm equivalent
Intuitive Design – Easy Operation
Nikon Coolpix 5400 photographers will have complete and immediate access to important camera settings at one’s fingertips without having to navigate through the menu system with the addition of a new command dial based on the award-winning Nikon D100 design. The new command dial will leave 5400 photographers free to seek out their next great shot. Nikon has also incorporated 15 Scene Modes into the Nikon Coolpix 5400 to allow for convenient point-and-shoot operation of the camera.
The Nikon Coolpix 5400’s enhanced Movie Mode can record up to 180 seconds of QuickTime™ video (at 15 frames per second) in Movie (320x240) Mode and 70 seconds in TV Movie (640x480) format with audio. With the optional AC adapter and a keen imagination, the camera can now produce incredible time-lapse movie sequences, shared as QuickTime™ movies, by capturing motion jpeg files showing slow-moving objects or events over a long duration such as a sunrise to sunset or a flower blooming.
Get the Red Out! – NikonView 6 and Nikon’s Exclusive One-Touch Red-Eye Fix™ Software
The Nikon Coolpix 5400 features the latest version of NikonView 6, complete with Nikon’s new and exclusive One-Touch Red-Eye Fix software, which instantly fixes red-eye with the touch of a button from most typical red-eye digital photos.
One-Touch Red-Eye Fix™ software recognizes and fixes red eyes, without desaturating the image and without affecting other red items within the photo. Nikon is the only photo manufacturer offering this powerful one-touch red-eye removal tool, which is great for beginners yet powerful enough for more advanced photographers.
The Nikon Coolpix 5400 also includes a host of exciting programs from ArcSoft® including PhotoStudio™ for image manipulation and enhancement, VideoImpression™ for editing and sharing QuickTime movies, and Panorama Maker™, which lets users easily stitch a number of images together to create beautiful panoramic photos. The camera also comes with PhotoBase™, which allows photos and slide shows to be downloaded and displayed on the screen of a PDA.
The Nikon Coolpix 5400 includes the new NikonView 6 software CD-ROM, shoulder strap, USB cable, video cable, a Lexar 16 MB “Speed Rated” Starter Memory Card and a Li-Ion rechargeable battery and quick charger.
The Nikon Coolpix 5400 will be available in Summer 2003 at an MSRP of $799.95.
Nikon Inc., the world leader in precision optics, 35mm and digital imaging technology, is recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance in consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Inc. distributes the Nikon Total Imaging System of consumer and professional 35mm film and digital SLR cameras, Nikkor optics, Speedlights and System Accessories; Advanced Photo System cameras; 35mm compact cameras; Nikon Coolpix® compact digital cameras; Coolscan® digital film scanners; Nikonos® underwater photographic systems; and Nikon sports and recreational optics. The company plays an active role in supporting aspiring and advanced photographers through a variety of organizations, educational programs, events and workshops. For product information, contact Nikon at (800) NIKON-UX or visit www.nikonusa.com, which links all levels of photographers to the web’s most comprehensive photo learning and sharing communities.
# # #