Original Source Press Release:
Gimp-Print for Mac OS X Updated to Version 4.3.17|
Mike Pasini, The Imaging Resource
(Monday, June 23, 2003 - 12:08 EDT)
The new version enhances Epson support -- adding roll feed paper handling and a new quality setting -- with preliminary support for the Epson Stylus Photo 935, and the PM-940C and PM-980C.
Gimp-Print, a suite of printer drivers for most common UNIX print spooling systems, including CUPS (implemented on Mac OS X 10.2). These drivers provide high quality printing for many unsupported printers as well as current models under UNIX and Linux systems.
The new version, a development release, enhances Epson support, adding roll feed paper handling and a new quality setting. Preliminary support for the Epson Stylus Photo 935, and the PM-940C and PM-980C is also included.
According to the release notes, the major changes in this version include:
- The libxml2 package is no longer required for building Gimp-Print. It has been replaced with a very light weight XML package called mxml, which is compiled into the library.
- The glib package is no longer required for building the GhostScript IJS driver (ijsgimpprint).
- The libgimpprintui library is now correctly built or not depending upon whether --enable-libgimpprintui is passed or not.
- White output is now truly white. In 4.3.16, a very small number of dots was printed even for white output, which in some cases made printing take much longer than required.
- Roll feed should now work correctly on Epson printers that do not have a paper cutter.
- Default values for dither algorithm and image optimization have been added; this allows the user to not specify these options.
- A new Quality setting has been added for the Epson driver. This enables the user to choose from a set of named qualities (e. g. economy, draft, standard, photo, etc.), simplifying the choices for the user. When the user selects a Quality setting, the Resolution, Ink Type, Ink Set, and Printing Direction controls are disabled.
Different Quality settings are available depending upon the printer's capabilities and the choice of media type; e. g. the higher quality photo settings are not available on plain paper, while draft and economy settings are not available with high quality photo papers. The CUPS driver does not currently enforce these limitations, as the PPD files do not currently support constraints on option values.
In the future, the Quality setting may control other settings as well, such as dither algorithm, image optimization, etc.
- A new auto-size option for roll paper has been added (currently in the GIMP plug-in only).
- Preliminary support for the Epson Stylus Photo 935, and the PM-940C and PM-980C.
- The numeric options now offer increased precision in the CUPS driver, by way of coarse and fine adjustments for each option. The coarse adjustment offers adjustment in units of 0.1; the fine adjustment offers additional increments of 0.005. The release includes a Print plug-in for the Gimp, and Ghostscript and CUPS drivers, including Foomatic data.
For more information or to download, visit the Gimp-Print project at SourceForge.
Powered by Coranto
|Gimp-Print for Mac OS X Updated to Version 4.3.17|
June 22, 2003 - Gimp-Print 4.3.17 is the first Mac OS X release in the developmental line (4.3.x) of Gimp-Print. At the current point in the development cycle, the 4.3.x line is approaching mainline stability and has many new features over the current mainline (4.2.x).