|The following is an unedited press release, shown as received from the company represented. We've elected to present selected releases without editorial comment, as a way to provide our readers more information without further overtaxing our limited editorial resources. To avoid any possible confusion or conflict of interest, the Imaging Resource will always clearly distinguish between company-provided press releases and our own editorial views and content.|
Powered by Coranto
PRESS RELEASE: Olympus delivers firmware update for E-System
Version 1.2 Improves Shutter Release Button and Adds Display of Focus Points to E-1 LCD
Melville, New York, June 24, 2004 - Olympus formally announces the second firmware update for the E-1 digital SLR. With version 1.2, it is now possible to shoot photos by fully pressing the shutter button repeatedly with a "pumping" action, while keeping the shutter release button half-pressed down. This improvement allows you to continually shoot photos in C-AF (Continuous Auto Focus) mode, continuing C-AF with the shutter button halfway depressed. Additionally this update also adds a display of focus points for 3-point AF in the finder's LCD.
This update also includes improvements made in version 1.1 such as higher sharpness settings, improved exposure in macro mode with flash and quicker startup time from sleep mode. E-System users can update their camera bodies, lenses and flash units through the Olympus Viewer software included with the E-1 cameras or the Olympus Studio software. The whole process takes less than five minutes.
Olympus E-1 Firmware Version 1.2 updates:
Olympus E-1 Firmware Version 1.1 updates (included in 1.2):
- It is now possible to shoot photos by fully pressing the shutter button repeatedly, while keeping the shutter button halfway depressed. This improvement allows you to continually shoot photos in C-AF mode, continuing C-AF with the shutter button halfway depressed.
- It is now possible to display the focus points for 3-point AF on Finder's LCD.
To access the service the photographer must:
- Allows higher sharpness setting values (+4, +5).
- Improves the exposure precision during macro shooting with flash in the P (Program) mode.
- Reduces the time it takes for the camera to recover from the sleep mode.
- "Erasing selected frames" has been updated to enable you to cancel several frames selected for erasure at the same time. This is effective when ERASE SETTING is set to NO. After you select frames to erase, the SEL. IMAGE screen will appear if you press the arrow pad to go to the next screen or rotate the main dial to change the number of frames in the index. If you select RESET and press the OK button, all frames selected for erasure will be canceled at the same time. You cannot go to the next screen or change the number of frames in the index unless you erase the pictures or cancel your selection.
The photographer must have version 1.1 of Olympus Viewer or Olympus Studio software. To update previous versions, users must start the program and select "Software Update" from the program's Help menu. The browser software will automatically start. The E-1 user can then download version 1.1.
- Connect the camera body to an Internet-enabled computer using the cable included with the camera.
- Start the Olympus Viewer or Olympus Studio program and select "Firmware Update" from the program's Help menu.
- The program will automatically download and install the appropriate update via the Internet.
The system requirements are: Windows® 98SE / Me / 2000 / XP, USB 1.1 / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 MacOS 9.1 / 9.2 or MacOS X 10.1.3~10.2 / 10.2.7 / 10.3, USB 1.1 / USB 2.0 / FireWire
Olympus is a precision technology leader, designing and delivering innovative solutions in healthcare and consumer electronics worldwide.
Olympus works collaboratively with its customers and its parent company, Tokyo-based Olympus Corporation, to leverage R&D investment in precision technology and manufacturing processes across diverse business lines. These include:
In the U. S. and Canada, Olympus serves healthcare, scientific and commercial laboratory markets with integrated product solutions and financial, educational and consulting services that help customers efficiently, reliably, safely, and easily achieve superior results. Olympus is the leader in gastrointestinal endoscopy and clinical and educational microscopes. The company's market-leading consumer electronics business spans North and South America. For more information, visit www.olympusamerica.com.
- Digital and film cameras, and digital voice recorders.
- Gastrointestinal endoscopes, accessories, and minimally invasive surgical products;
- Advanced clinical and research microscopes; and
- Lab automation systems, chemistry-immuno and blood bank analyzers and reagents.
(First posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 at 08:28 EDT)