PRESS RELEASE: Nikon's New R1C1 and R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight Systems Bring Simplicity and Automation to Close-Up Flash Photography
Latest Additions to Nikon's i-TTL Wireless Creative Lighting System Simplify Lighting for Close-Up Photography and Prove Versatile for Much More
MELVILLE, N.Y., Nov. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Nikon Inc. (http://www.nikonusa.com) today introduced two new Wireless Close-Up Speedlight Systems -- the R1C1 and the R1 -- both designed to seamlessly fit within Nikon's i-TTL Wireless Creative Lighting System. Comprised of the SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander, two SB-R200 Wireless Remote Speedlights and a host of useful accessories and mounting adapters all neatly packaged in one complete kit, the R1C1 offers photographers using Nikon i-TTL capable SLRs, including D2x(TM), D2hs(TM), D2h(TM) and F6(TM) a compelling new way to get outstanding results with their close-up photography while bringing an amazing level of simplicity and automation to the lighting process. The R1 shares all of the components of the R1C1 with the exception of the SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander. The R1 is designed to take advantage of Nikon i-TTL digital SLR cameras that feature a Wireless Commander built into the camera's on-board Speedlight system, such as the D70(TM), D70s(TM) and the newly announced D200(TM).
The R1C1 and the R1 systems greatly enhance the versatility of Nikon's Creative Lighting System, currently consisting of the SB-800 and SB-600 Speedlights. They offer photographers a myriad of choices and options in creating customized lighting solutions, ranging from a compact, portable lighting set-up for close-up photography to more elaborate lighting arrangements using several i-TTL enabled speedlights. Regardless of the complexity of the lighting arrangements, Nikon's i-TTL technology promises an astounding level of simplicity in achieving the desired lighting effects and accurate exposures. Photographers can shed all cords and cables and the need to calculate flash and distance ratios, because, when used with a compatible Nikon camera, i-TTL technology is capable of making all exposure calculations in real time, wirelessly, during the exposure to deliver consistently accurate flash exposures in virtually any situation.
Packaged as complete systems, the R1C1 and the R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight Systems are designed to produce automated creative close-up lighting solutions without any clutter or hassle of connecting cables. The system outfits come in a sturdy and fitted system case that includes all the accessories and adapters a photographer may need to begin capturing beautifully illuminated pictures immediately.
The R1C1 consists of two SB-R200 Wireless Remote Speedlights, the SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander, and an SX-1 Attachment Ring that is used to attach the two SB-R200s to the front of the lens. Additionally, the outfit contains a comprehensive assortment of accessories to help users master and enjoy close-up flash photography, including the SW-11 Extreme Close-Up Positioning Adapter, SJ-R200 Color Filter Set, SW-12 Set Diffuser, SW-C1 Flexible Arm Clip and a set of five adapter rings to ensure the SX-1 Attachment Ring can be mounted on virtually any Nikkor(R) lenses designed for close range photography.
For photographers who want to use an SB-800 or the built-in Speedlight of D200, D70s and D70 cameras as a commander, the R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System, which comes without the SU-800, is ideal.
Components of the R1C1 and R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight Systems are also available individually, offering photographers versatility and creative control. The SB-R200 Speedlight is a highly capable lighting tool with a guide number of 14/46 (ISO 200, m/ft.). In addition to attaching it to the front of the lens for close-up photography purposes, photographers can also hold it in their hand while shooting for off-camera directional lighting, or freely position it by using the AS-20 Speedlight Stands, supplied with both the R1C1 and R1 systems. The SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander, also available individually, adds versatility to the Nikon Creative Lighting System by providing wireless flash output level controls for the SB-800, SB-600 or new SB-R200 remote Speedlight units when mounted on Nikon SLR cameras that are compatible with Nikon's Creative Lighting System. These include the D2X, D2Hs, D2H, D200, D70s, D70 and D50(TM) digital SLR cameras, as well as the F6 35mm film SLR camera.
The Nikon R1C1 and R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight Systems will be available in December 2005 for an estimated selling price of $680.00* and $430.00* respectively. The Nikon SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander and SB-R200 Wireless Remote Speedlights will also be available individually in December 2005 for an estimated selling price of $265.00* and $155.00* respectively. For more information about Nikon's Creative Lighting System and Nikon's Speedlights, please visit http://www.nikonusa.com.
Contents of Nikon R1C1 & R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight Systems
Two Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System configurations are available: Nikon Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System R1C1 and Nikon Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System R1 (identical to R1C1 but SU-800 is not included). The system includes:
- SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander: (not included in the R1 outfit). Includes the SS-SU800 Soft Case
- SB-R200 Wireless Remote Speedlight (2): Includes (2) AS-20 Speedlight stand, (2) SS-R200 Soft Case, (2) SJ-R200 Filter Set, and (2) SZ-1 Color Filter Holder
- SX-1 Attachment Ring: Enables SB-R200(s) to be attached to the front of the lens. Accepts up to eight SB-R200 Speedlights (maximum four when attached to camera or up to eight off-camera)
- SG-3IR IR Panel for Built-in Flash: Prevents pre-flash light from built-in Speedlight (D200, D70s or D70) from influencing exposures in extreme close-up situations
- Adapter Ring Set: Enables SX-1 to be attached to lenses with filter attachment sizes of 52mm, 62mm, 67mm, 72mm, and 77mm
- SW-11 Extreme Close-Up Positioning Adapter (2): Angles the SB-R200's flash light toward the optical axis to create lighting effects when taking extreme close-up shots
- SW-12 Translucent Diffuser Panel: Provides the ability to bounce and/or soften light
- SW-C1 Flexible Arm Clip: Used to mount SW-12 Diffuser to the SX-1 Attachment Ring. Clamp design allows mounting to other objects, adding flexibility
- SS-MS1 Close-up Speedlight Outfit Case: Houses complete System and included accessories plus space for an additional SB-R200 Speedlight
SB-R200 Wireless Remote Speedlight: Major Features
- Supports the Nikon Creative Lighting System
- Functions only as a remote Speedlight unit
- Supports i-TTL (for automatic balanced Fill-Flash), D-TTL, TTL, Manual
- Accurate i-TTL flash control achieved through flash exposure monitoring control
- Guide Number of 10/33 [ISO100, m/ft], 14/46 [ISO200, m/ft]
- Advanced Wireless Lighting available
- Auto FP High-Speed Sync; use with fast shutter speeds achieves effective blurring of out-of-focus background elements
- FV lock holds flash value, enabling recomposition prior to shooting
- AS-20 Speedlight stand (supplied)
- SS-R200 Soft Case (supplied)
- SJ-R200 Color Filter Set (supplied)
- SZ-1 Color Filter Holder (supplied)
Note: The SB-R200 cannot be attached to the camera's accessory shoe.
SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander: Major Features
- When using i-TTL compatible Nikon SLR cameras and Speedlights, user can divide the Speedlight units into three groups and control the flash output independently for each group
- Features a Commander function that can trigger wireless remote flash (SB-800, SB-600, or SB-R200) units without a master flash unit
- One-touch switching between close-up and Commander modes
- Easy-to-use close-up flash operations. Two types of operations: Dual-light close-up flash and Triple-light close-up flash
- Easy-to-view LCD panel
- Compact and lightweight
- SS-SU800 Soft Case (supplied)
- When using the SU-800 with cameras not compatible with i-TTL flash control, only close-up flash operation (using cords) is possible in use with the optional SC-30 TTL Cord.
Nikon, At the Heart of the Image(TM). Nikon Inc. is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Inc. distributes the Nikon Total Imaging System of consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, Nikkor optics, Speedlights and System Accessories; Nikon Coolpix(R) compact digital cameras; Coolscan(R) digital film scanners; 35mm film SLR cameras; Nikon software products and Nikon sports and recreational optics. At the heart of every Nikon camera is Nikon's Exclusive Feature System, making it easy for anyone to take amazing digital pictures. Through the Nikon Spirit Initiative(TM), the company, plays an active role in supporting aspiring and advanced photographers through a variety of philanthropic organizations, educational programs, events and workshops. For more information, dial (800) NIKON-US or visit http://www.nikonusa.com, which links all levels of photographers to the web's most comprehensive photo learning and sharing communities.
*Estimated selling prices listed are only an estimate. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.
(First posted on Tuesday, November 1, 2005 at 00:00 EST)