|The following is an unedited press release, shown as received from the company represented. We've elected to present selected releases without editorial comment, as a way to provide our readers more information without further overtaxing our limited editorial resources. To avoid any possible confusion or conflict of interest, the Imaging Resource will always clearly distinguish between company-provided press releases and our own editorial views and content.|
PRESS RELEASE: Western Digital Expands Portable Storage Family With My Passport Elite USB Hard Drives
Packed with Features, New Portable Storage Devices Cater to Discriminating Consumers On-the-go
LAKE FOREST, Calif. -- Mar. 25, 2008 -- Expanding on its popular portable storage offerings, WD (NYSE: WDC) today introduced its new My Passport Elite Portable USB Drives which are designed to make it easy to securely carry thousands of songs, videos or photos in style. Available now at select retailers and at WD's online store (http://www.shopwd.com), the new fully-featured My Passport Elite Portable USB Drives include a luxurious, soft-touch finish that makes these drives easy to grip, comfortable to hold, and fashionable to carry.
Weighing in at less than 5 ounces and available in capacities of 320 and 250 GB, the new My Passport Elite drives are small enough to fit in a pocket for consumers on-the-go. Adding to the small footprint, these drives are USB-bus powered, which eliminates the need for an external power adapter .
"Your digital content is as personal today as photos in shoeboxes and racks of CDs were yesterday," said Jim Welsh, vice president and general manager of WD's branded products and consumer electronics groups. "The device that securely holds your content should be just as personal. Having listened to our customers, we are expanding the options available on our WD Passport family of personal storage devices with more features, content management functions and fashionable design."
Unique features of the new My Passport Elite Portable USB Drives include:
• Capacity gauge that enables users to know at-a-glance how much space is available;
• Powerful automatic backup software lets users designate files and folders for automatic and continuous backup;
• Synchronization software that lets users sync their changes and protect their information with 128-bit encryption;
• Retrieve forgotten files from any MioNet-enabled PC (compatible with Windows only) and copy them to My Passport Elite with MioNet installed allowing users to retrieve forgotten files from the road using the unique MioNet Key software;
• Available in four elegant, soft-touch colors: bronze, titanium, westminster blue and cherry red;
• Industry-leading 5-year limited warranty; and
• Plug-and-play capability with gaming consoles  to make it easy to play music and view photos and video files on a TV.
WD's My Passport Elite USB Drives are available now at select retail stores and from WD's online store (http://www.shopwd.com/). MSRP for the My Passport Elite USB Drive with 250 GB capacity is $169.99 USD and the My Passport Elite 320 GB is $199.99 USD.
 An optional cable is available for the few computers that limit bus power
 Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony PS3 gaming consoles
(First posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 12:16 EDT)