PRESS RELEASE: Olympus Announces Winners Of Inaugural "Photographers Of Tomorrow" Photo Contest
Three Winning Images Selected from Impressive and Competitive Field; Winners to Receive $5,000 Scholarship and Olympus E-3 Digital SLR Camera Outfit
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., June 10, 2008 – Olympus today announced the winners of its inaugural “Photographers of Tomorrow” contest. Designed for aspiring professional photographers or photojournalists, the contest was open to students from 12 colleges and universities with the top photography programs across the United States. The following winners in each of the three categories – Speed, Travel and Environmental Issues – were selected for their exceptional work captured with the company’s flagship digital single lens reflex (DSLR) camera, the Olympus E-3.
The winner in each category is:
SPEED – Dawn Jones-Garcia from the University of Texas - Austin for her image Airborne, which shows a biker performing an aerial stunt after launching himself off a large ramp.
TRAVEL – Katie McCurdy from University of the Arts, Philadelphia for her image of a modern day Amelia Earhart titled Jetsetter.
ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES – Jason Richards from Pellissippi State Technical Community College for Buffalo Road. This image of buffalo stampeding down a highway depicts the encroachment of man on wildlife.
“We were impressed by the quality of the entries received for this inaugural event,” said John Knaur, senior marketing manager – DSLR, Olympus Imaging America Inc. “Additionally, we are encouraged by the enthusiasm with which the contest was met, and will continue to look for new opportunities to inspire and support the next generation of professional photographers and photojournalists.” The winning submissions are available to view online at: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_slr_photocontest.asp. The winning students will be awarded the following prizes, and the three students’ respective professors will also be awarded the camera body, lenses and accessories:
- $5,000 Scholarship
- Olympus E-3 Digital SLR Camera
- Two New ZUIKO Digital Lenses – the ED 12-60mm (24-120mm equivalent) f2.8-4.0 SWD and ED 50-200mm (100-400mm equivalent) f2.8-3.5 SWD
- Olympus Travel Bag and Accessories
Student entries were judged by a panel of three award-winning Olympus Visionary photographers who use Olympus E-System equipment to capture their coveted work. The judges include:
- Anne Day – As a photojournalist, Anne Day has covered events in Haiti, Cuba, South Africa and Namibia, as well as American Presidential Inaugurations, school picnics, weddings, birthday parties and events in New York City.
- Jay Kinghorn – An Adobe Photoshop Certified Expert, Jay Kinghorn draws on his background as an assignment and fine-art photographer to develop training programs that fulfill the essential needs of photographers.
- Michael Lewis – Michael Lewis has spent more than 20 years photographing people, cultures and landscapes around the world. He has extensive experience in print and broadcast journalism, and his workflow relies on getting up close to people to capture real, natural moments.
Contest Camera and Lenses
The Olympus E-3 provides the high-precision performance demanded by professional and enthusiastic photographers to capture exceptional images every time. When coupled with the ZUIKO digital 12-60mm SWD (Supersonic Wave Drive) lens, the E-3 offers the fastest autofocus system in the world. The E-3 also includes in-body Image Stabilization to stabilize every lens, a 10-megapixel Live MOS image sensor, and the reliability of a high-endurance, dust-proof and splash-resistant magnesium alloy body. Olympus pioneered Full-Time Live View and Dust Reduction Technologies for digital SLR cameras, leading where others have followed.
ABOUT THE OLYMPUS VISIONARY PROGRAM
Established by Olympus Imaging America Inc. in partnership with some of today's most talented photographers, the Olympus Visionary program is dedicated to creating superb digital images with the help of Olympus' digital cameras and lenses. Olympus Visionaries span all fields of photography and work in a diversity of styles and subject matter, but they are united in realizing their creative vision through digital photography. The Visionaries use Olympus digital cameras in their daily assignments and personal work, participate in speaking engagements and appearances, and provide Olympus with input into equipment development. The Visionaries include several Pulitzer Prize-winning and Magnum photographers, as well as internationally-renowned photographers who have photographed assignments around the world.
ABOUT OLYMPUS IMAGING AMERICA INC.
Olympus Imaging America Inc. is a precision technology leader, designing and delivering award-winning products for consumer and professional markets.
Olympus Imaging America Inc. works collaboratively with its customers and its ultimate parent company, Olympus Corporation, to develop breakthrough technologies with revolutionary product design and functionality that enhances peoples’ lives every day. These include:
- Digital and Film Cameras as well as related Underwater Products and Accessories
- Professional Digital SLR Imaging Systems as well as related Underwater Products and Accessories
- Digital and Microcassette Recorders
- Digital Media
Olympus Imaging America Inc. is responsible for sales in the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. For more information, visit: www.olympusamerica.com.
(First posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 at 13:10 EDT)