PRESS RELEASE: Humanity Photo Awards (HPA) 2009
The Only Worldwide Folklore & Custom Photo Contest Collecting Memories Of Mankind
The HPA2009 contest, co-organized by China Folklore Photographic Association (CFPA), UNESCO and Guangzhou Asian Games Organizing Committee (GAGOC), was formally launched on 16th September, 2008. It aims to call upon worldwide photographers, professional or amateur, to record the world’s folklore cultures, spread and share the diverse cultures among mankind. Under the support of GAGOC, A World Folklore Photo Exhibition will be held in Guangzhou Asian Village as the main cultural exchange activity of 16th Asian Games which will include the winners’ photos of HPA contests concerning 118 countries. The exhibition photos will be selected from the entries of HPA2009. Therefore, we hereby invite you to participate in this worldwide event. Your outstanding work might be the one shown in the Gallery of 16th Asian Games and witnessed by the world.
- The only worldwide folk photo contest;
- Launched by CFPA(China Folklore Photographic Association);
- Co-organized by UNESCO and GAGOC;
- Five successful contests in the past;
- 94 nationalities have participated in the HPA contests;
- Each entry should consist of a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 12 photographs;
- Attractive bonus plus transportation fee and a 3-day hotel accommodation for the ceremony if you win the award;
- 166 awards in total;
- Famous and honest judges all from different nationalities.
- To call upon responsible photographers who respect life and love their life to take their cameras, in the context of special series of photographs;
- To explore and rescue the endangered folklore cultures of all the world’s nationalities by means of photography; to profoundly record the changes and evolution of various folklore cultures in a genuine and vivid form;
- To record, spread and share the multi-cultures of the world, to enhance mutual understanding and exchanges of human beings and to promote the world peace and development.
- Submission deadline: May 25th 2009(The date postmarked by the Beijing Post Office will be the deemed arrival date)
- Judging deadline: September 15th 2009
- Press Conference Date: June 6th 2009 (will announce the host city)
- Award Ceremony and WFPA (World Folklore Photographers Association) Opening Ceremony:
- September 16th 2009
- Tour Exhibition: September 2009—September 2011
- Portrait & Costume
- Living and Production Custom
- Education, Recreation, Sports & Technology
- Traditional Rites
- Humanity Photo Grand Awards: 6 (one for each category)
- Humanity Photo Documentary Awards: 60
- Humanity Photo Nomination Awards: 100
To read the former HPA contests and winner works, please view the link below:
NEW : email entries accepted:
We will exceptionally accept entries coming from your email but considering the security of the Internet, we still encourage participants to send their photo works by post in case of the loss of your email. If you wish to send your entries through the Internet, we recommend you to send all your photos with the filled entry form to email@example.com through http://www.yousendit.com/ .
The resolution should be no smaller than 300dpi and short size no smaller than 20cm.
Digital photos, editable caption in .txt or .doc file and entry forms should be saved together as a zip file.
Here is an example below for you to fill up your information we request on yousendit form:
From: your email address
Subject : HPA2009 Entry
Enter message: your name / your email address
CFPA (China Folklore Photographic Association)
Address: Suite312, Building14, Wen Huiyuan, Haidian District, Beijing
Mailing address: P.O. Box8006, Beijing 100082, PRC
Tel & Fax: (00)86 10 6225 2175
How to participate in HPA 2009? Please view the link below:
(Please read Entry Rules carefully so that you can successfully participate in the contest)
In addition to the contest, CFPA will organize a folklore exhibition in the Guanghzou Asian Village for the 16th Asian Games. We hope we can include most of the countries in the World. We also will organize the winners of HPA2009 to shoot the view of Asian Games Stadiums during the openning ceremony and arrange them to come to Guangzhou in 2010 for Asian Games.(Air tickets and hospitality are afforded by CFPA)
It is an unmissable chance for us to promote the folklore cultures of each countries. We have received a lot of photos from different countries so far but we are still missing photos from your country, so if you or any of your friends would like to promote the culture of your country, take a chance and feel free to join this contest.
Considering that postal mail might be too long for overseas participants and to encourage more nationalities to take part of HPA2009, the head office of HPA2009 has decided to postpone the entry deadline from 15th April to 25th May (The date postmarked by the Beijing Post Office will be the deemed arrival date).
This will give participants more time to prepare their photo entries and make sure their photo works arrive in China on time.
(First posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 at 15:35 EDT)