Original Source Press Release:
Canon releases updated firmware for PowerShot S100, G1, Pro90 IS!|
(Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 00:00 EST)
New firmware corrects several anomalies related to external flash and date rollover, as well as enhancing shutter/aperture performance for the Pro90IS...
Canon has today released updated firmware for its PowerShot S100, PowerShot G1 and PowerShot Pro90 IS digital cameras on its BeBit website in Japan. The new firmware, version 18.104.22.168, corrects a number of problems related to external flash on the Pro90 and G1, a date rollover problem on the G1 and S100, and the intermittent 'shutter sound' on the G1, and improves shutter/aperture performance of the Pro90IS. The software will be pre-installed on all cameras shipped from March 2001 onwards, which of course includes all US PowerShot Pro90 IS cameras since this model has yet to ship in the USA. If you have not yet received your G1, S100 or Pro90IS you can confirm that the new software has been installed by locating a red "0" mark on the inside of the battery cover - if this mark is not there, Canon recommends updating the camera software.
The upgrade can be completed either by the user, or by returning the camera to a service center. User upgrades are either over the USB connection, or by CompactFlash card... As with all user upgrades, we strongly recommend following the manufacturer's instructions as to whether and how to install a firmware upgrade on your camera to the letter. Upgrading firmware is usually a safe process if you follow the instructions carefully; disregarding the instructions is a great way to turn your digital camera into a very expensive paperweight!
For full details on where to download the firmware update for your specific model of camera, exactly what the update does and how to install it, read Canon's official press release below...
Canon USA Inc.
Powered by Coranto
|FIRMWARE UPDATE NOTICE FOR POWERSHOT S100, G1 AND PRO90 IS|
February 27, 2001 -- Canon Inc. has announced that new firmware updates are now available for the PowerShot S100, PowerShot G1 and PowerShot Pro90 IS. If you own one of these cameras, please review the following information and then visit Canon Inc.'s BeBit web site for detailed information.
USA Customers Please Note:
All PowerShot Pro90 IS cameras designated for distribution in the USA will be updated to new firmware version 22.214.171.124 prior to shipment. If your PowerShot Pro90 IS is purchased in the USA, there is no need to update firmware at this time. Cameras that have been updated at the factory can be identified by a red "0" mark on the inside of the battery compartment cover.
All PowerShot G1 and S100 cameras shipped in the USA prior to March, 2001 have not been updated to new firmware version 126.96.36.199. Cameras that have been updated at the factory or by Canon Factory Service can be identified by a red "0" mark on the inside of the battery compartment cover.
WHAT THE FIRMWARE UPDATES DO:
PowerShot Pro90 IS:
- If an EX-series Speedlite (220EX/380EX/420EX/550EX) is mounted on the camera, the user-selected white balance is used when the Speedlite is turned off. (With firmware version 188.8.131.52, the Pro90 IS set an arbitrary white balance whenever an EX-series Speedlite was mounted on the camera.)
- Aperture values as large as f/2.8 can be used with shutter speeds as high as 1/800 sec. in Tv (shutter-speed priority AE), Av, (aperture-priority AE), and M (manual) shooting modes. (The previous maximum aperture limitation was f/4 for shutter speeds higher than 1/500.)
PowerShot S100 Digital ELPH:
- It is no longer necessary to reset the date at the end of the month. (With firmware version 184.108.40.206, some G1 cameras lost the date information at the end of the month.)
- An underexposure problem that occurred in Program modes in low light when an EX-series Speedlite (220EX/380EX/420EX/550EX) was mounted on the camera but turned off has been solved.
- Speedlites 160E and 200E will now flash when they are mounted on the PowerShot G1. However, since they are not EX-series Speedlites, they will fire at full strength. (Automatic flash exposure on the PowerShot G1 is only available with the built-in flash or an EX-series Speedlite.)
- The problem that the camera sometimes didn't emit a shutter clicking sound has been solved.
WHO CAN PERFORM THE UPDATE?
- It is no longer necessary to reset the date at the end of the month.
Two methods of firmware updating are provided: One is for end users to load it by themselves directly from Canon Inc.'s web page, as described in the PowerShot Firmware Installation Procedure posted there. Another is to have the new firmware installed by a Canon Factory Service Center. If you choose the latter method, please contact Canon USA's Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-4040 (available Mon. - Fri. from 9AM to 8PM Eastern time) for assistance prior to shipping your camera. When the automated attendant answers the call, please follow the prompts for Technical Assistance with Digital Cameras.
HOW IS THE FIRMWARE UPDATE INSTALLED?
The new firmware can be installed directly via the camera's USB interface cable, or it can be copied to a CF card and installed without an interface cable. The updating procedure takes approximately 40 to 60 seconds depending on the camera model.
IS IT ESSENTIAL TO INSTALL THE FIRMWARE UPDATE?
It is not essential to install the new firmware, but it is highly recommended.
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION AND DOWNLOAD THE NEW FIRMWARE?
Please visit the following web page according to your camera model:
PowerShot Pro90 IS: