Original Source Press Release:
Olympus announces 4 megapixel compact digicam!|
(Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 09:00 EDT)
Popular Camedia C-3040 digicam gets a boost to 4 megapixels in Olympus' newest model...
Olympus America Inc. has today announced the latest entry in its line-up of full-featured, compact digital cameras, the Camedia C-4040 Zoom. The camera is essentially an update to the previous C-3040 Zoom model, featuring the same bright f/1.8 35-105mm optical zoom lens and similar chassis, but with a new 4.1 megapixel CCD imager, noise reduction mode, and redesigned menu system. The camera also adds a rubberized lens barrel for an easier grip, and more...
The camera has a top resolution of 2272 x 1704 pixels for a final file size corresponding to about 3.9 megapixels, as well as two higher resolutions which are interpolated at 1.9:1 or 1.4:1 from the actual imager resolution. The camera has a range of auto and manual capabilities, and some interesting features such as 8-point multi spot metering, spot auto focus, white balance compensation, and the ability to enable or disable sound on movies (the advantage to disabling sound being a slightly longer maximum length per movie). The US model will feature NTSC video connectivity and a movie rate of 15 frames per second (fps) whilst the European model has PAL connectivity and 12.5fps video.
The Olympus Camedia C-4040 Zoom will ship in August 2001 at a street price of $1099; this price includes two non-rechargeable batteries, so the optional Lithium rechargeable battery and charger will be a must-have on top of this price. (Apologies that we weren't first with this news, however apparently Olympus Europe posted details of the camera two hours earlier than the NDA time we were given by Olympus USA! We're pleased to be first to bring you full specifications, however...) Specifications for the camera are already in our database, and highlights follow:
Olympus America Inc.
|Specification Highlights - full specifications here|
|Olympus Camedia C-4040 Zoom |
|Model Number: ||C-4040Z |
|Camera Format: ||Compact |
|Price: ||$1099 (street) |
|Date Available: ||August 2001 |
|Image Capture |
|Image Sensor: ||0.555" 4.13 megapixel CCD |
|Image Resolution: ||3200x2400 (interpolated), 2816x2112 (interpolated), 2272x1704, 2048x1536, 1600x1200, 1280x960, 1024x768, 640x480 |
|Focal Length (effective): ||35 - 105mm (3x optical zoom) |
|Digital Zoom: ||Smooth 1-2.5x |
|Auto Focus: ||Yes (Contrast-detect TTL AF) |
|Manual Focus: ||Yes |
|Normal Focus Range: ||80 cm to Infinity; 32.7 in to Infinity |
|Macro Focus Range: ||20 - 80 cm; 8.2 - 32.7 in |
|Aperture Range: ||f/1.8 (wide) / f/2.6 (tele) - f/10 |
| Optical Viewfinder: ||Yes (Real Image type) |
|LCD Viewfinder: ||Yes (1.8 inch, 114,000 pixel) |
|ISO Settings: ||Auto, 100, 200, 400 |
|White Balance Settings: ||Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, One Touch, white balance compensation |
|Manual White Balance: ||Yes |
|Shutter Speeds: ||16 - 1/800 second |
|Exp Adj Range: ||+/- 2.0EV in 1/3EV steps |
|Metering Modes: ||Digital ESP metering system, spot, multi-spot |
|Exposure Modes: ||Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual |
|Self Timer: ||12 seconds |
|Internal Flash: ||Yes |
|Flash Modes: ||Auto, Red-Eye Reduction, Off, On, First and Second curtain slow synchro |
|Flash Range Description: ||0.8 - 5.6 meters (wide), 0.2 - 3.8 meters (tele) at ISO 100 |
|Ext Flash: ||Yes (External Flash terminal for optional Olympus FL-40 [5 pin type]) |
|Image Storage |
|Flash Memory: ||SmartMedia to 128MB |
|Memory Included (MB): ||16 |
|File Formats: ||TIFF Uncompressed, JPEG, WAV, QuickTime MotionJPEG |
|More Information |
|Weight: ||320 g; 11.2 oz |
|Weight With Batteries? ||No |
|Size: ||110 x 76 x 70mm; 4.3 x 3.0 x 2.8in |
|Notes & Features: ||Resolutions of 3200 x 2400 and 2816 x 2112 are interpolated at 1.9:1 and 1.4:1 from actual sensor resolution of 4.1 megapixels. Compatible with SmartMedia to 128MB. Lens has 10 elements in 7 groups. Shutter speeds above 1 second are not available in Auto mode; shutter speeds above 4 seconds are available in Manual mode only. Features USB AutoConnect (Olympus' name for USB Mass Storage Class, which allows driverless connectivity on Windows Me and 2000, or MacOS 8.6+. Has Auto Exposure Bracketing capability (1/3, 2/3 or 1EV steps, 3 or 5 images). Noise reduction system allows for +/- 5 step sharpness and contrast adjustment. +/- 3 step white balance correction function allows white balance to be tweaked. LCD brightness can be adjusted. External flash can be set to Auto, Off or On. Internal flash recycles in 6 seconds. Maximum movie length can be extended from 32 to 33 seconds at 320x240 pixels, or from 130 to 148 seconds at 160x120 pixels by disabling audio. UO model has NTSC video out and 15fps video; EXO model has PAL video out and 12.5fps video. Supports in-camera cropping of video files. Multi-spot metering mode combines up to 8 spot readings and averages them. Spot Auto Focus function allows camera to focus on points selected. Can record 4-second audio attachments to accompany still images. Panorama mode is only available when using Olympus-brand SmartMedia. Comes bundled with 16MB Olympus SmartMedia card, USB cable, video cable, two CR-3V Lithium non-rechargeable battery packs, lens cap and retainer cord, remote control, instruction manual, QuickStart guide, and software CD. Optional accessories include camera case, FL-40 external flash, add-on lenses, NiMH batteries and charger, C7AU AC adapter. |
|More Photos |
Powered by Coranto
|OLYMPUS ANNOUNCES THE NEW CAMEDIA C-4040 ZOOM 4 MEGAPIXEL DIGITAL CAMERA|
Features Latest CCD, Super Bright Lens and Noise Reduction Technology
for High Quality Digital Photos up to 16" x 20"
June 20, 2001, Melville, NY — Olympus America, Inc., the world leader in film and filmless photography, today announced the CAMEDIA C-4040 ZOOM. Establishing a new high-end category for Olympus C-Series cameras, the C-4040 ZOOM builds on the foundation of Olympus’ award winning C-Series digital cameras while incorporating exciting new features. The C-4040 ZOOM offers a 4 Megapixel CCD, a super-bright F1.8 high-performance 3X zoom lens, plus the latest in Olympus image quality and noise reduction technologies to deliver crisp high-quality prints as large as 16" x 20".
The C-4040 is the perfect digital camera for advanced photographers desiring extensive image control capabilities combined with ease of use for creative and artistic applications. Professional photographers will also find the C-4040 ZOOM to be a versatile yet compact solution providing the image quality and output sizes required for magazine and newspaper publication.
Its high-performance 3X zoom lens offers a large aperture that opens to a maximum F1.8 aperture setting for low light photography pictures. Combined with its extended flash working range, the C-4040 ZOOM is a great camera for any low-light shooting situation. Simple to use, the C-4040 ZOOM also features Olympus' USB Auto-Connect capabilities for fast and worry-free downloading without the need for any additional software or drivers.
Similar in design to other Olympus C-Series models, the C-4040 ZOOM has an elegant all-black finish and rich ornamental parts that complement new ergonomic controls, including a rubberized lens barrel and grip. The C-4040 ZOOM also retains many popular features found in the C-Series, such as Auto and Manual White Balance, multiple exposure settings to compensate for different lighting conditions, a two-frame-per-second Burst Mode, QuickTime Movie, black and white and sepia shooting modes, Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB), and several compression settings.
New Features of the C-4040 ZOOM include:
The CAMEDIA C-4040 ZOOM will be available August 2001 with an estimated street price of $1099. It ships with an 16MB Olympus SmartMedia memory card, USB cable, AV cable, two 3V lithium battery packs (CR-3V), lens cap and retainer cord, remote control, Olympus Camedia Master 2.5 Utility Software for image manipulation and creation, instruction manual, QuickStart Guide, lens cap and strap.
- New Noise Reduction System – The noise reduction system allows for +/- 5-step sharpness and contrast control for clearer, more precise images. The camera compares similar images and uses that information to minimize background noise in pictures, even during long exposures or in low light conditions.
- Super Bright Lens – From wide-angle to telephoto settings, the new super-bright 7.1 - 21.3mm 3X zoom lens (35-105mm equivalent in 35mm photography) captures images with unrivaled precision. The 3X optical zoom also allows offers a seamless 7.5X digital zoom to get even closer to the action. The lens permits users to take shallower depth of field images for greater portrait photo opportunities and more freedom in low-light situations.
- Optimum Image Enlargement Mode - Enlarges images up to 3200 x 2400 pixels in SHQ or HQ mode. The C-4040 ZOOM uses a bicubic algorithm and a new high-speed ASIC chip to maximize image quality and processing speed to create sharp, crisp pictures as large as 16" x 20".
- Superior Image Quality – A 4.1 megapixel CCD and advanced imaging technology create exceptionally sharp, crisp high-resolution pictures.
- User Friendly Interface – A streamlined menu with user-selectable shortcut menus and custom buttons make the camera easy to navigate and program.
- USB Auto-Connect - Connect to any USB-compatible Windows computer (running Windows Me or 2000) or Macintosh (running MacOS 8.6+) for easy downloading of image files to computers without any additional software.
- Newly Designed Menu Navigation System – Never miss another moment fumbling through layers of camera settings. Custom buttons and shortcut settings make adjustments quick and easy.
- New Ruggedized Lens Barrel – The new ruggedized rubber grip around the lens barrel provides for surer handling in any weather condition, and protects the lens even without a cap. A tethered line ensures the lens cap is never lost when one is used.
- Metering Modes - The C-4040 ZOOM offers users a choice of ESP multi-patterned metering and spot metering for easy, yet advanced exposure control. The ESP multi-pattern meter looks at a variety of areas in the subject area for proper overall exposure. Spot metering allows for pinpoint control of subject exposure using only the very center of the image area. The C-4040 ZOOM also includes a new Multi-Spot metering mode that combines up to eight spot reading positions and averages them together for total control over subject exposure. The C-4040 ZOOM’s versatile metering capabilities make it one of the most advanced models in the field of 4 Megapixel cameras.
- Spot AF Function - A Spot AutoFocus function allows the camera to focus on points specifically selected by the photographer.
- White Balance – Get exacting control over white balance settings in any lighting condition and ensure proper color reproduction. The iESP multi-patterned white balance system automatically adjusts system settings to deliver the best image quality, or select one of the four manual white balance presets for more precise control. In addition, a new +/-3 step white balance correction function enables minor adjustments in color tones.
- Sharpness and Contrast Settings – Get the best possible pictures every time. Flexible sharpness and contrast controls let the photographer take full control of final output quality. Soft, Normal and Hard Sharpness settings adjust the definition around the subject to meet any need. Low to High Contrast control regulates dark and light areas to capture any image with just the right amount of contrast and depth.
- QuickTime Movie with Sound - QuickTime Movie mode allows users to capture up to 120 seconds of video with simultaneously recorded sound. For still images, the C-4040 ZOOM lets users record a 4-second audio attachment, ideal for voice memos. Audio may be re-recorded over images, with functionality supported by Olympus’ CAMEDIA Master software.
- Accessories - Olympus provides a wide range of optional accessories for the C-4040 ZOOM including a camera case; FL-40 external flash for synchronized shooting with TTL cable and bracket; an assortment of lenses from 28mm to 152mm equivalent; RM-1 remote control; NiMH batteries and charger; C7AU AC adapter.
C-4040 ZOOM Street Price $1099
C-4040 ZOOM Suggested Retail Price
# # #