Minolta DiMAGE F100Minolta builds a compact, stylish 4 Megapixel model with sophisticated autofocus.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 04/18/2002, Updated: 05/29/2003
||4.0 megapixel CCD yields images as large as 2272 x 1704 pixels|
||3x optical zoom lens, with range equivalent to 38-114 mm|
||Unusually sophisticated 5-zone autofocus system|
||Full auto mode plus wide range of manual exposure options|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Minolta made a strong showing last year in the consumer digicam market, with its Dimage 5 & 7 rocking the high end of the market when they were introduced in late spring. The innovative design and excellent optics of these models (and the fact that the Dimage 7 was the first five megapixel consumer digicam from any manufacturer) drew notice and high praise from all corners.
This year, Minolta appears to have a few more tricks up their corporate sleeve, the first of which was their remarkable ultra compact Dimage X, which I reviewed a little while ago. Now, they're breaking new ground with the Dimage F100, a compact four megapixel model with some really unusual features, in the form of "intelligent" autofocus that responds to your subjects directly, and a nifty automatic "scene mode." Although at this point I've only seen a late-model prototype, the F100 also seems to take nice photos, and is very nicely styled, with a compact, all-metal body and fully retracting lens design that makes it easy to take along on outings. While Minolta was a little slow entering the digital fray, they now seem to be more than making up for it with interesting innovations and excellent lens design. Read on for all the details on the new Dimage F100!
- 4.0-megapixel CCD delivering image resolutions as high as 2,272 x 1,704 pixels.
- 3x, 7.8-23.4mm lens, equivalent to a 38-114mm lens on a 35mm camera.
- Maximum aperture of f/2.8 at full wide-angle and f/4.7 at full telephoto.
- Automatic and manual focus control, adjustable focus area.
- Subject Tracking AF system.
- Intelligent Area AF focusing system.
- As much as 2.5x digital enlargement.
- Real-image optical viewfinder and 1.5-inch color LCD monitor.
- Auto and Manual exposure control.
- Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to 4 seconds, with maximum 15-second Bulb setting.
- Program AE, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- Built-in flash with four operating modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with six settings, including a Custom setting.
- Multi-Segment and Spot metering modes.
- Light sensitivity equivalents of ISO 100, 200, 400, and 800, plus an Auto setting.
- Auto-Exposure Bracketing, Continuous Advance, Voice Memo, Self-Timer, Movie, and Audio modes.
- Special "Scene" exposure modes and Automatic Digital Subject Program Selection.
- Optional remote control.
- Image color, sharpness, saturation, and contrast settings.
- Histogram display for checking exposure.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.
- Images saved to SD memory cards. (16MB card included)
- Power from two AA NiMH or alkaline batteries, one CRV3 lithium battery, or optional AC adapter.
- NTSC video cable for viewing images on a television (PAL for European models).
- USB cable for quick connection to a computer, and interface software CD with new Dimage Viewer software.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility for printing images.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Minolta DiMAGE F100!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate