Minolta Dimage F300A compact, stylish camera with a full five-megapixel sensor and clever autofocus system.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 05/22/2003
||5.0-megapixel CCD yields images as large as 2,560 x 1,920 pixels|
||3x optical zoom lens, with range equivalent to 38-114 mm|
||Sophisticated five-zone autofocus system|
||Full auto mode plus wide range of manual exposure options|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
|Free Photo Lessons|
After something of a slow start, Minolta came on strong in the consumer digicam market two years ago, its DiMAGE 7 rocking the high end of the market as the first five megapixel consumer model. Last year, they continued their innovation with the DiMAGE X and the DiMAGE F100, the latter of which sported an innovative autofocus system ported from Minolta's advanced film cameras. As Minolta has rolled out more digicam models, it has become clear that innovative design and high optical quality are particular hallmarks of their designs.
This year, Minolta has upgraded the F100 with a five-megapixel sensor, with the resulting F300 model retaining most other features and operating characteristics of last year's design. The result is a very nice new camera, with some really unusual features, like "intelligent" autofocus that responds to your subjects directly, and an automatic "scene mode." The F300 also takes nice photos, and is very nicely styled, with a compact, all-metal body and fully retracting lens design that makes it easy to take along on outings. While Minolta was a little slow entering the digital fray, they now seem to be more than making up for it with interesting innovations and really excellent lens design. Read on for all the details on the new Dimage F300!
- 5.0-megapixel CCD delivering image resolutions as high as 2,560 x 1,920 pixels.
- 3x, 7.8-23.4mm lens, equivalent to a 38-114mm lens on a 35mm camera.
- Maximum aperture of f/2.8 at full wide-angle and f/4.7 at full telephoto.
- Automatic and manual focus control, adjustable focus area.
- Subject Tracking AF system.
- Intelligent Video AF focusing system.
- Up to 4x digital enlargement.
- Real-image optical viewfinder and 1.5-inch color LCD monitor.
- Auto and Manual exposure control.
- Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to four seconds, with maximum 15-second Bulb setting.
- Program AE, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- Built-in flash with four operating modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with six settings, including a Custom setting.
- Multi-Segment, Center-Weighted, and Spot metering modes.
- Sensitivity equivalents of 64, 100, 200, and 400 ISO, plus an Auto setting.
- Auto-Exposure Bracketing, Continuous Advance, Voice Memo, Self-Timer, Movie (with Night mode), and Audio modes.
- Special "Scene" exposure modes and Automatic Digital Subject Program Selection.
- Optional remote control.
- Image color, sharpness, saturation, and contrast settings.
- Histogram display for checking exposure.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.
- SD memory card storage.
- Power from two AA NiMH or alkaline batteries, one CRV3 lithium battery, or optional AC adapter.
- Video cable for viewing images on a television.
- USB cable for quick connection to a computer, and interface software CD with new Dimage Viewer software.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility for printing images.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Minolta Dimage F300!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate