Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5By: Dave Etchells
Panasonic updates its 12x optically stabilized Leica lens digicam to five megapixels.
(Next): Comparison With Panasonic DMC-FZ3>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 05/09/2005
||5.0-Megapixel CCD delivers 2,560 x 1,920-pixel images|
||12x optical zoom lens covers 36-432mm equivalent range|
||Full range of manual and automatic exposure options, with nine preset shooting modes|
||Styled like a traditional 35mm SLR|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Introduction - The Panasonic FZ5
|Free Photo Lessons|
Panasonic FZ5 High Points
- 5.0-megapixel CCD delivering up to 2,560 x 1,920-pixel resolution images.
- Electronic optical viewfinder.
- 1.8-inch, color LCD monitor.
- 12x Leica zoom lens, 6-72mm (equivalent to a 36-432mm lens on a 35mm camera) with auto focus only and a nine-point focus area.
- As much as 4x digital telephoto.
- Program AE, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Manual exposure modes, as well as nine preset "Scene" exposure modes.
- Manually adjustable aperture settings from f/2.8 to f/8.0, depending on zoom setting.
- Manually adjustable shutter speed settings from 1/2000 to 8 seconds. (1/1300 and above only at smaller lens apertures)
- ISO sensitivity equivalents: Auto, 80, 100, 200, and 400.
- Three metering modes: Multiple, Center-Weighted, and Spot metering.
- White balance setting with six modes, including a manual setting.
- Built-in pop-up flash with six operating modes and flash exposure compensation.
- JPEG and TIFF still image file formats, movies saved as Motion JPEGs.
- Images saved to SD/MMC memory cards, 16 MB card included.
- Movie mode with sound.
- Flip Animation mode, plus three Burst continuous shooting modes and Auto Exposure Bracketing.
- Color Effects option, plus sharpness adjustment with three settings.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.
- USB cable for high-speed connection to a computer.
- Lens hood and hood adapter included.
- ArcSoft PhotoImpression, Panorama Maker, and PhotoBase software on accompanying CD ( for both Mac and Windows)
- Powered by Panasonic rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack, with optional AC adapter.