Kyocera FineCam S3 ZoomKyocera packs 3 megapixels into the smallest zoom-equipped digicam yet. Too cool!
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 7/1/2001
||3.3 megapixel CCD for 2,048 x 1,536 images.|
||2x telescoping zoom lens with integral lens cover.|
||Superbly designed, rugged stainless-steel case.|
||The smallest zoom-equipped digicam on the planet!|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Though the Kyocera name is not a household word for most consumers (it's actually best known for its semiconductor development), both serious amateur and professional photographers will immediately recognize the names Contax, Yashica, and Carl Zeiss -- all camera / optics manufacturers marketed by 45-year-old Kyocera Optics Inc. -- and all highly regarded in the field of fine photographic systems and lenses. Though these camera lines are best known in the field of conventional film imaging, the Finecam S3 is not the first digicam to come out of the Kyocera family. In 1999, Yashica introduced the Kyocera Samurai 2100DG, reportedly the first 2-megapixel camera with a 4x optical zoom lens. This year, Kyocera has announced two new models: the Kyocera EZ Digital 1.3 Camera for consumers and the 3.3-megapixel Finecam S3, with a 2x optical zoom lens, for the serious amateur. Our first impression is that this is one classy little camera, with all the makings of a popular prosumer model. With Kyocera looking to establish their name as a brand in its own right, they could hardly have chosen a better flagship than the new Finecam S3. Its rugged, classy design exudes quality and pizazz. (And it takes pretty good pictures too!) With an important segment of the digicam market becoming more "fashion" conscious, we think Kyocera's hit a home run with the S3.
- 3.3-megapixel CCD delivering image resolutions as high as 2,048 x 1,536 pixels.
- 1.5-inch TFT color LCD monitor and real-image optical viewfinder.
- 2x, 7.8-15.6mm optical zoom lens, equivalent to a 38-76mm lens on a 35mm camera.
- Digital zoom as high as 2x.
- Auto and manual focus options.
- Program AE, Aperture Priority, and Long Exposure modes.
- Evaluative, Center-Weighted, and Spot metering options.
- Adjustable aperture settings from f/2.8 to f/6.2.
- Shutter speeds from 1/2,000 to 8 seconds.
- Variable ISO of 100, 200, or 400
- Adjustable White Balance with six modes.
- Built-in flash with five operating modes.
- Color adjustment options and Landscape focus mode.
- Movie recording mode.
- Uncompressed TIFF and JPEG image file formats.
- Images saved to MMC (MultiMedia) or SD (Secure Digital) cards, with a 16MB MMC card included.
- Power from one lithium-ion battery pack, AC power adapter included with the camera.
- USB card reader for quick download of images.
- NTSC video cable for viewing images and movies on a television set (PAL for European models).
- PRINT Image Matching Technology
- Compliant with Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) devices.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Kyocera FineCam S3 Zoom!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate