Minolta DiMAGE S414DiMAGE technology and optics in a compact, stylish four megapixel design.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 07/31/2003
||4.0-megapixel CCD delivers uninterpolated images up to 2,272 x 1,704 pixels|
||High-resolution Minolta GT lens with 4x optical zoom (35-140mm equivalent focus range)|
||CxProcess image processing and Large Scale Integration image processing chip|
||12-bit Analog / Digital conversion for more than 4,000 levels per channel (Red, Green, Blue)|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
|Free Photo Lessons|
Minolta Corporation is a traditional camera manufacturer of long experience, that's made a very successful entry into the digital world. Their cameras have made themselves known for innovative design and advanced feature sets, superb optics, and very affordable pricing. In addition to conventional and digital cameras, Minolta ;also manufactures high-quality light meters, spectrophotometers, colorimeters, and an award-winning line of film scanners, including the amazing little DiMAGE Scan Dual III, arguably the best buy on the market today for a combined 35mm/APS film scanner.
One of Minolta's (and the industry's) longer-running success stories is their line of cameras that began with the DiMAGE S304, continued with the S404, and that is now represented by the DiMAGE S414. With 4.0 megapixels and a tack-sharp 4x optical zoom lens, the S414 carries on the tradition of excellent creative control at bargain prices that have made the line a success. The S414 is an evolution of the S404, rather than a revolutionary new product. The S414 has the same high speed CPU as the prestigious DiMAGE 7Hi, for faster processing, and an improved internal memory system enables faster cycle times. The S414 also features enhanced color and filter options, a new live histogram display, and Grid and Scale alignment LCD display modes. The minor improvements building on a solid base add up to a very nice digicam, with a price tag comfortably below that of most of its competition. If you're looking for a camera with all the exposure-related bells and whistles that won't break the bank, the S414 deserves serious consideration. Read on for all the details! Read on for all of the details.
- 4.0-megapixel CCD delivering image resolutions as high as 2,272 x 1,704 pixels.
- 4x, 7.15-28.6mm lens, equivalent to a 35-140mm lens on a 35mm camera.
- Maximum aperture of f/3.0 at full wide-angle and f/3.6 at full telephoto.
- Automatic and manual focus control, adjustable focus area.
- 2.2x digital enlargement.
- Real-image optical viewfinder and 1.8-inch color LCD monitor.
- Auto and Manual exposure control.
- Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to four seconds, with maximum 15-second Bulb setting.
- Full Auto, Program AE, Aperture Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- Built-in flash with five operating modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with six settings, including a Custom setting.
- Multi-Segment and Spot metering modes.
- Sensitivity equivalents of 64, 100, 200, and 400 ISO.
- Autoexposure Bracketing, Continuous Shooting, Voice Memo, Self-Timer, and Movie modes.
- Special "Scene" exposure modes (Macro, Portrait, Landscape, Night, Text, and Text with Macro).
- Optional remote control.
- Image color, sharpness, saturation, and contrast adjustments.
- Histogram display for checking exposure.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.
- Images saved to CompactFlash Type I memory cards.
- 32 megabytes of internal buffer memory.
- Power from four AA NiMH or alkaline batteries, or optional AC adapter.
- NTSC video cable for viewing images on a television (PAL for European models).
- USB cable for quick connection to a computer, and software CD with drivers and DiMAGE Viewer (PC or Mac).
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility for printing images.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Minolta DiMAGE S414!
Top 3 photos this month win:
1 Canon PIXMA PRO-100
2 Canon PIXMA MG6320
3 Canon PIXMA MG5420