Original Source Press Release:
Pentax announces limited edition silver K-7|
Michael R. Tomkins, The Imaging Resource
(Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 22:04 EST)
Hoya Corp. has today announced a rather handsome-looking special limited-edition version of its Pentax K-7 prosumer single-lens reflex digital camera.
The Pentax K-7 Limited Silver takes the existing K-7 body, and replaces several of the black body panels with silver-finished panels. These include the top and bottom panels, plus the upper surface of the popup flash strobe, and the panel comprising the bottom of the viewfinder prism and lens mount surround. The rear panel surrounding the LCD display retains its black finish, as do the textured hand grips on either side of this panel. The color of the microphone jack cover, shutter button, power dial and metering mode dial have also been changed to match the finish of the silver panels. Finally, the silver on red "SR" badge on the camera's front has been changed to a gold on black badge, and both the Pentax and K-7 logos have been changed to use black print.
The changes in the K-7 Limited Silver do go beyond just the body color, however. The K-7 Limited has a new reinforced glass cover over the LCD, which is said to be "highly shock and scratch resistant", and intended to be more durable than the existing cover from the standard K7. The K-7 Limited Silver also comes with a new focusing screen which is billed as being an "exclusive, suggesting that it won't be made available to purchase by existing K-7 owners. The new focusing screen includes several extra markings to help with golden ratio composition.
Finally, as you'd expect given its limited edition status, the K-7 Limited Silver will come with the current Pentax K-7 v1.03 firmware and Pentax Digital Camera Utility v4.10 versions, both of which are already available for download by existing K-7 owners.
In other respects, the Pentax K-7 Limited Edition is identical to the current camera. The Pentax K7 digital SLR includes a 14.6 megapixel APS-C CMOS image sensor, compact and rugged magnesium alloy weather-sealed body, high-res 3.0" LCD with live view function, 100% pentaprism viewfinder, 11-point AF, 77-segment metering, and both in-camera shake reduction and dust reduction. It also offers 5.2 frames-per-second burst mode, 1/8000 second top shutter speed, electronic level and composition adjustment functions, in-camera HDR capability, and a high-definition movie mode with external microphone jack. More details can be found in our Pentax K7 preview.
Pricing and availability for the Pentax K-7 Limited Silver have not been announced at this time. The production run for the K7 Limited Silver has been set at 1,000 units, and we understand that further information will be available in Japan from March 13 2010.
Pentax's K-7 Limited Silver digital SLR.
Photo provided by Hoya Corp.
|PENTAX K-7 Limited Silver|
A silver-colored, limited-edition model of the high-performance digital SLR camera
HOYA CORPORATION PENTAX Imaging Systems Division is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX K-7 Limited Silver digital SLR camera. To be marketed in a limited quantity of 1,000 sets, this special-edition model comes with several features that distinguish it from the original black-colored PENTAX K-7 (launched in summer 2009), including a silver-colored body and a “golden section ratio” focusing screen.
Major Features of PENTAX K-7 Limited Silver
- In response to the enthusiastic requests from many devoted PENTAX lovers, the camera body is finished in silver. It is identical with the color of the high-performance FA Limited interchangeable lens series, a family of lenses designed for the highest level of image description. Because of this, the K-7 Limited Silver is the perfect stylistic match for any FA Limited-series lens. Set in lower area of the camera body, the SR (Shake Reduction) lettering is in a special gold color that stands out proudly against the subdued black-colored, leather-like finish.
- The K-7 Limited Silver comes equipped with an exclusive “golden section ratio” focusing screen. Since the guiding lines and points are curved on the screen, the photographer can swiftly and effortlessly compose a perfectly balanced image in keeping with this classic design concept.
- The LCD monitor on the camera’s back panel is protected with a reinforced glass plate, which is highly shock- and scratch-resistant. This protective plate makes the K-7 Limited Silver even more durable and dependable than the original K-7, especially under demanding shooting conditions. Thanks to this extra protection, the photographer can concentrate on picture-taking in challenging outdoor assignments.
- The camera firmware has been upgraded to the latest version (Ver. 1.03) to make the camera’s lens compensation function operable with the FA Limited-series lenses.
- The latest version (Ver. 4.10) of the PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 image processing software is included in the camera package.
Note: The specifications of the camera body are identical with the original K-7, except for the focusing screen and firmware.
PENTAX, K-7, and PENTAX Digital Camera Utility are trademarks of HOYA CORPORATION.
HDMI, the HDMI Logo and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC.
All other brands or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
Design and Specifications are subject to change without notice.