|The following is an unedited press release, shown as received from the company represented. We've elected to present selected releases without editorial comment, as a way to provide our readers more information without further overtaxing our limited editorial resources. To avoid any possible confusion or conflict of interest, the Imaging Resource will always clearly distinguish between company-provided press releases and our own editorial views and content.|
PRESS RELEASE: WirelessHD Next Generation Standard Now Available
WirelessHD 1.1 Specification Supports 3DTV, HDCP 2.0, Data Applications and Data Rates in Excess of 10 Gbps for Consumer Electronics, Mobile and Personal Computing Devices
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- The WirelessHD Consortium, the first and largest 60 GHz initiative worldwide and the only wireless standard that provides wireless lossless A/V support, today announced immediate availability of the WirelessHD 1.1 specification announced this January at the Consumer Electronics Show. This next generation WirelessHD specification enables HDTVs, Blu-ray disc players, PCs and portable devices to transmit, share and display content in billions of colors with unprecedented vividness and accuracy as well as instantaneously transfer large multi-gigabyte media files among a variety of devices.
The WirelessHD specification, the de facto standard wireless digital interface for high definition consumer electronics, is currently supported by over 45 global technology industry leaders. Products implementing WirelessHD 1.1 technology will be backward compatible to those products using WirelessHD 1.0 technology. This update ensures WirelessHD technology will continue to extend its utility and evolution ahead of future consumer demands.
The WirelessHD 1.1 specification includes the following updates:
• Optimized architecture: Handles multi-gigabit data rates for A/V streaming and file transfer (Wireless Personal Area Networking or WPAN) at the lowest link power.
• Highest data rates: The next generation specification increases the data rate to 10 -- 28 Gbps, an unprecedented level of wireless bandwidth. This will support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, deep color and high frame rates, as well as high speed data applications.
• 3D over WirelessHD: The new specification will define common 3D formats and resolutions for WirelessHD-enabled devices.
• 4K resolution support: Enables devices to support HD resolution four times beyond that of 1080p. This feature allows the WirelessHD interface to transmit content at the same resolution as many digital theaters.
• WPAN Data support: Connected devices that include this feature supports sync'n go file transfers for portable and fixed devices. This new specification also provides for IP connectivity for Internet access and networking of WirelessHD devices.
• Portable device support: The scalability of WirelessHD technology has been extended to support lossless video streaming in low-power portable devices such as portable media players, netbooks and smartphones.
• HDCP 2.0 content protection over WirelessHD: In addition to DTCP, both the current and future versions of WirelessHD will include support for HDCP 2.0 content protection. WirelessHD is the only standard to support both streaming and copying of multimedia content.
"We're pleased to bring an outstanding second generation specification to market with significant feature enhancements and power efficiencies," said John Marshall, Chairman of the WirelessHD Consortium. "Enhanced video support and added data support makes WirelessHD technology the best option for wireless video area networking and wireless personal area networking applications."
The WirelessHD Consortium is comprised of 47 members worldwide including technology leaders in consumer electronics, personal computing and semiconductor markets. For more information on becoming a WirelessHD Adopter, email: [email protected]
Formed in 2006, the WirelessHD Consortium joined together to define the next generation worldwide 60 GHz multi-gigabit millimeter wave technology for mobile and stationary consumer and enterprise applications. WirelessHD is the first consumer electronics and technology industry-supported, digital wireless interface for instantaneous file transfers, wireless display and dand lossless HD media streaming. For more information on WirelessHD, please visit http://www.wirelesshd.org.
(First posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 at 13:23 EDT)