Olympus D-460 ZoomOlympus updates a popular 1.3 megapixel model with improved features and a simpler interface.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 6/14/2000
||1.3 megapixel resolution for 1280 x 960 images|
||3x (35-105mm equivalent) optical zoom lens with autofocus|
||Variable ISO, 125 to 500|
||Spot metering option for difficult lighting conditions|
||Panorama-assist mode for capturing multiple shots to tile into panoramas|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
With one of the broadest digicam lineups in the industry, Olympus is clearly a camera manufacturer who's successfully making the transition to the digital era. At the high end, their product line extends to the 3 megapixel C-3030, announced in February, 2000. Earlier this year, we reviewed their D-360L entry-level model, a 1.3 megapixel camera with fixed focal-length autofocus lens and a strong feature set. Between these two models lies the D-460 Zoom, combining advanced options like variable ISO and spot metering with point & shoot simplicity for everyday use. The real plus relative to the less-expensive D-360L model is the 3x optical zoom lens that provides greatly enhanced framing flexibility. We're big believers in the value of zoom lenses for general-use cameras, and the D-460 Zoom combines good optics with solid camera performance.
- 1.3 megapixel CCD delivering 1280 x 960 and 640 x 480 resolution
- Variable ISO, w/ auto or manual selection of ISO 125/250/500
- 3x optical zoom (35 to 105 mm), f/2.8-f/4.4 maximum aperture
- 2x "digital telephoto" at any focal length
- Macro focusing to 8 inches (20 cm)
- 1/2 to 1/1000 second shutter speeds
- Both optical and LCD viewfinders
- Dioptric adjustment for optical viewfinder
- Four recording modes, including uncompressed TIFF
- Built-in flash with six operating modes
- Five user-selectable white balance settings
- Panorama exposure mode when using Olympus-branded memory cards
- Direct print to optional Olympus photo printer (P-300 and P-330)
- SmartMedia image storage, 8 MB card included
- Power via 4 AA batteries (alkalines included, buy a set of NiMH rechargeables!)
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus D-460 Zoom!