Olympus C-5000 Zoom(none)
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 11/04/2003
||5.0-megapixel sensor, delivering
2,560 x 1,920-pixel images
||3x optical zoom lens, with body threads for accessory lenses
|*||Extensive exposure controls
||Adjustments for contrast, saturation, and sharpness
||Hot shoe for external flash
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Manufacturer Overview Learn how to really use full-functioned cameras like this one - Visit our free Photo Lessons area!
Free Photo Lessons
Learn how to really use full-functioned cameras like this one - Visit our free Photo Lessons area!
For quite a while now, Olympus has made a practice of following the introduction a higher-end, fully-featured model with a slightly de-featured version at a significantly lower price. Leveraging development costs over two similar models, they can bring very cost-effective cameras to market.
Recently, Olympus returned to this successful strategy with the introduction of the C-5000 Zoom, a five-megapixel digicam that updates the earlier four-megapixel C-4000 Zoom. The C-5000 Zoom offers just about every "enthusiast" feature you could ask for, excellent image quality, and an amazing $449 estimated "street" price as of its introduction. However, the C-5000 Zoom is missing a few of the extra details that the C-4000 boasted, such as the histogram display, movie editing capability, viewfinder diopter adjustment, AF modes, and Multi-Spot exposure metering, most prominently among them. Still, the camera is capable and able to handle just about any exposure situation, with an intuitive user interface. Read on for all the details!
- 5.0-megapixel CCD delivering up to 2,560 x 1,920-pixel resolution images.
- 1.8-inch, color LCD display.
- 7.8-23.4mm, f2.8 3x zoom (equivalent to a 38-114mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- 4x Digital Zoom.
- Automatic focus control with adjustable AF area.
- Optional manual focus mode, with numeric distance scale displayed.
- Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to 16 seconds for still images.
- Auto, Program AE, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes, plus six preset Scene modes.
- My Mode saves customized user settings.
- Spot or Digital ESP multi-pattern metering systems.
- Auto Bracketing, Sequence Shooting, Panoramic, and "2 in 1" capture modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with eight settings, plus a WB color "tweak" function.
- Optional "fine-tuning" adjustments for color saturation, contrast, and in-camera sharpening.
- Built-in flash with four operating modes, three Slow Sync modes.
- Noise Reduction for improved image quality with long exposures.
- QuickTime Movie mode.
- External flash hot shoe for dedicated Olympus flash units.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.
- Images saved to xD-Picture Card (32MB card included).
- USB Auto-Connect for fast image download, without special driver software on current operating systems.
- Video cable for connection to a television set.
- IR remote control included.
- Software CD with Olympus' Camedia Master utility software (includes QuickTime, USB drivers, and reference manual).
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility and print settings.
- Power from one Li-10B lithium-ion battery pack (included with charger), or optional AC adapter.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus C-5000 Zoom!