Panasonic 14-50mm f/3.8-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR
(From Panasonic lens literature) A New Standard Zoom Lens for Digital SLR Camera LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR 14-50mm F3.8-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. It is a large-diameter standard zoom lens featuring a focal length from 14mm to 50mm (35mm equivalent: 28mm 100mm) and compliance with the Four Thirds System. Positioned below the previously released LEICA D VARIO-ELMARIT 14-50mm F2.8-3.5 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S., the new lens comes in a more compact and light-weighted body while keeping the optical design and meeting Leica's stringent quality and performance standards. It delivers high resolution and contrast from edge to edge especially at the telephoto end and captures beautiful portrait photos with an attractive smoothness in out-of-focus areas, produced by the seven-blade diaphragm aperture.
The LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR comprises 15 lens elements in 11 groups, including two aspherical lenses, minimizing distortion and peripheral vignetting at the wide end. Two ED (extra-low dispersion) lenses reduce chromatic aberration to an absolute minimum. It also incorporates Panasonic's advanced MEGA O.I.S. - an optical image stabilization system controlled by the integrated Venus engine LSI that provides outstanding hand-shake correction. With a minimum focus distance of 29cm and a maximum photographic magnification of 0.42x (35mm equivalent) the new lens makes it possible for the photographer to take outstanding macro shots even without using a tripod.
As the kit lens in the package of the today announced new LUMIX DMC-L10 digital SLR camera, the LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR 14-50mm F3.8-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. also supports the contrast AF system, which is newly implemented in the camera.
The new lens is also offered separately and will be available in the market around October 2007.
1. Mega O.I.S. - Panasonic's advanced hand-shake correction technology With its outstanding stabilization performance, Panasonic's Mega O.I.S. allows you to use slower shutter speeds more than three steps. To detect and correct the hand-shake accurately, Panasonic's Venus Engine LSI is incorporated into the lens. This advanced image stabilizer lets you capture clear telephoto shots or shoot in dim lighting without using a tripod.
2. Two aspherical lenses and two ED lens for a superb optical performance The new LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR 14-50mm F3.8-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. lens uses two aspherical lenses and two ED (extra-low dispersion) lenses to deliver an outstanding optical performance. Across the entire 28-100 mm zoom range, it captures high-resolution, high-contrast images that are clear from corner to corner. The ED lenses suppress chromatic aberration, helping you capture accurate, true-to-life telephoto shots with minimum color bleeding.
3. Minimum focus distance of 29 cm over the entire zoom range With its minimum focus distance of 29 cm even at full zoom, the new lens provides a maximum photographic magnification of 0.42x (35mm equivalent). This combines with Mega O.I.S. hand-shake correction to let you capture outstanding macro shots even at tele-end without using a tripod.
4. Circular aperture diaphragm Seven aperture blades give the aperture a rounded shape that, when shooting at larger aperture, produces an attractive smoothness in out-of-focus areas.
5. Contrast AF system support When mounted on the new DMC-L10, the lens supports the contrast AF system newly integrated in the camera and allows the photographer to use new functions such as face detection.
6. Multiple lens coatings minimize ghosts and flare The new lens system uses multi-coated lens elements that reduce ghosts and flare to an absolute minimum, helping deliver an optical performance that meets Leica's lofty standards.
Panasonic 14-50mm f/3.8-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR User Reviews
9 out of 10 points and recommended by 108 (3 reviews)excellent sharpness at wide end, good contrast and colors in most casescolors a bit too warm sometimes. Size a bit big .
I bought this lens at bargain price ( 80 euros ) second hand following the recommendation of a friend who owns one . On my E520 copy this lens behaves amazingly well and much better than the 14-54 at 14mm up to 30 mm, after that the difference is negligible, with contrast and sharpness on par, slight advantage to the 14-54 at 50 mm . Since I always had sharpness and AF issues at wide angle with the E520, this lens solves the problem for good . On the E620 all good , and excellent results on a M4/3 Pana G5 with adapter .reviewed May 21st, 2015 (purchased for $96)
Colors are on the warm side, which is good except in certain circumstances when a bit of pp is required . The lens is light yet does not feel cheap . Zoom creeping after 25 mm but nothing really annoying . The only real con I can think of is the size, bigger than the Oly 14-54 .
9 out of 10 points and recommended by abraxusss (1 reviews)RAZOR SHARP !!! Great image stablizationNone
I must start by stating this lens is as sharp as the Olympus 12-60 mm F2.8-4 ED SWD. The images produced with this lens are simply superb. I have used both lens and prefer the Lecia. If you desire razor sharp images from a lens, this is a must have for all 4/3 users. The flare and chromatic abrreation control are outstanding. The image stablilation producted sharp images at 1/6 of a second. The optics of this lens are truly amazing !!!reviewed April 12th, 2010 (purchased for $380)