DxO Revs Up FilmPack
posted Friday, March 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM EDT
DxO has released FilmPack 3.2 with several significant improvements to the emulsion simulator we recently reviewed.
Many of the enhancements are a result of FilmPack's move to 64-bit processing but there are some usability improvements as well.
Highlights of the update include:
• In moving to 64 bits for both Windows and Mac, DxO FilmPack, which was already compatible with 64-bit Adobe Lightroom 3, is now compatible with more third-party applications running in 64-bit mode, including Adobe Photoshop CS 5 and Apple Aperture.
• DxO FilmPack is also compatible with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and 10.
• Image processing speed has increased thanks to 64-bit algorithms.
• DxO FilmPack can process large files without constraint.
Besides 64-bit processing, FilmPack 3.2 adds a few handy interface improvements, too.
Improvements to usability include:
• You can switch from one film look to another using the arrow keys, a real time-saver.
• The mouse or scroll wheel now works more intuitively with sliders and menus.
• The FilmStrip has been optimized to preview grain in resizable thumbnails.
• Import/Export of custom presets has been reworked to simplify exchanges between users.
The free update (which requires re-entering your activation code) can be downloaded directly from the application. A trial version is available from the DxO download page.
FilmPack 3.2 is available in either a $79 Essential Edition or a $129 Expert Edition.