The Answers to the “Cameras in the Movies Quiz”
posted Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM EDT
It's been over a week since our "Cameras in the Movies" quiz was posted and now here are the answers. How did you do?
1. In Roman Polanski’s Chinatown, what camera did Jack Nicholson’s Jake Gittes use in his surveillance activities? A Leica IIIa with Vidom finder and Telyt lens.
2. What old magical camera is used by one of the students in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets? An Argus C3.
3. In Spiderman, Tobey Maguire plays reporter Peter Parker. What does he shoots his spot news with? A Canon F-1N.
4. The movie Pecker is about a young photographer’s sudden rise to fame in the art world. What camera does he use? A Canon Canonet 28.
5. In Catch Me If You Can, Leonardo DiCaprio poses as a school newspaper reporter. What is the camera hanging from his neck? A Kodak Retina IIc with a fan flash.
6. In Crocodile Dundee, Linda Kozlowski plays a reporter and photographs Mick Dundee with what camera? Same as answer #3, a Canon F-1N.
7. In Woody Allen’s Vicky Christina Barcelona, what camera appears between the love scenes? A Leica M6 with 35mm Summilux.
8. David Hemmings discovers a murder and straddles model Verushcka in Michelangelo Antonioni’s Blow-Up. What was his all-purpose camera of choice? A Nikon F.
9. Besides several Nikon Fs, what other Nikon camera does Clint Eastwood use in The Bridges of Madison County? A Nikon SP.
10. In real life, Jeff Bridges is a well-known WideLux photographer but in "reel" life, he used something else in the 1970s remake of King Kong. What was it? A Nikon F.
11. At end of the first Terminator movie, a fateful picture of Sarah Conner is taken by a small Mexican boy. What was the camera he used to help save the world? A “Kodamatic” Kodak Instant camera.
12. Ringo Starr was a serious photographer besides being the drummer for the Fab Four. In A Hard Day’s Night, he strolls around an empty field aimlessly taking pictures. What did he trade in his drumsticks for? Another Nikon F.
13. After the four “cute” aliens get their coifs and makeovers in Earth Girls Are Easy, they have their photos taken with a very special camera. What was it? A Nishika N8000 Quadralens lenticular camera.
14. The Austrian singer and actress Lotte Lenya played the evil Rosa Klebb in From Russia With Love. In one scene she “takes” pictures with what kind of camera? Trick question: it's not a camera but a tape recorder disguised as a twin-lens reflex camera (TLR).
15. Perhaps the most famous camera in a movie was the one used by Jimmy Stewart in Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window. The movie was released in 1954 and the camera Stewart used was one of the most up-to-date SLRs of its time. What was it? Stuck in a wheel chair, Stewart spies on his neighbors with an Exakta SLR, most likely the VX (Varex) fitted with one of the longest lenses of its day, the Kilfitt 400mm F/5.6.