Blackmagic’s new URSA Mini Pro features an interchangeable lens mount and 4.6K sensor
posted Friday, March 3, 2017 at 2:00 PM EDT
Blackmagic has announced the URSA Mini Pro, featuring a 4.6K Super 35mm sensor, an interchangeable lens mount that allows it to be customized to fit in any environment. Among the camera's many amenities are three built-in ND filters, and a host of tactile control buttons, switches and dials that make it very fast to use. The camera is built to be tough, and offers filmmaking technology in the form factor of a broadcast video camera. It comes built with an external high visibility LCD status display, a foldout touch screen for reviewing shots without needing an extra on-set monitor, and pro-level connections such as 12G-SDI, XLR audio, and built-in high quality stereo microphones. Blackmagic made every control on the camera redundant, including the power, so if anything should go wrong in the field, the camera can still be used.
Blackmagic Design URSA Mini Pro:
- Digital film camera with15 stops of dynamic range.
- Super 35mm 4.6K sensor with third generation Blackmagic Design color science processing of raw sensor data.
- Interchangeable lens mount with EF mount included as standard. Optional PL and B4 lens mount available separately.
- High quality 2, 4 and 6 stop neutral density (ND) filters with IR compensation designed to specifically match the colorimetry and color science of URSA Mini Pro.
- Fully redundant controls including ergonomically designed tactile controls which allow direct access to the most important camera settings such as external power switch, ND filter wheel, ISO, shutter, white balance, record button, audio gain controls, lens and transport control, high frame rate button and more.
- Built in dual C-Fast 2.0 recorders and dual SD/UHS-II card recorders allow unlimited duration recording in high quality.
- Lightweight and durable magnesium alloy body.
- LCD status display for quickly checking timecode, shutter and lens settings, battery, recording status, and audio levels.
- Support for CinemaDNG 4.6K RAW files and ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 4444, ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy recording at Ultra HD and HD resolutions.
- Supports up to 60 fps 4.6K resolution capture in RAW.
- Features all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 12G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
- Built in high quality stereo microphones for recording sound.
- 4 inch foldout touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings.
- Includes full copy of DaVinci Resolve software color grading and editing software.
The URSA Mini Pro is available now for US$5,995. Also available from resellers are the optional URSA Mini Pro PL lens mount for US$245, as well as the optional URSA Mini Pro B4 HD lens mount for US$385. URSA Mini Pro comes standard with an EF lens mount, and additional replacement mounts can also be purchased for US$175.
Additionally, Blackmagic also announced the new DaVinci Resolve Micro Panel and the DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel, which are professional-grade hardware control panels that feature three high resolutions trackballs, precision machined control knobs, and illuminated buttons. The DaVinci Resolve Micro Panel is available now for $995 USD, and the DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel is available now for $2,995 USD.
Finally, DaVinci Resolve is now available on Red Hat and CentOS Linux, allowing those with Red Hat or CentoOS 6.8 or 7.2 systems to download and use the free version of DaVinci Resolve or the full DaVinci Resolve Studio. DaVinci Resolve 12.5.5 for Linux is available for download free of charge from the support page of the Blackmagic Design website. DaVinci Resolve Studio for Linux is available from resellers worldwide for $995 USD.