8 out of 10 points and recommendedLighter than F2.8 lens; Sharp; Close Focus; VRDistortion on 16mm
Just bought and used this lens with my D3, with outdoor landscape, nightscene, indoor photography where is very dark.reviewed May 25th, 2010 (purchased for $1,200)
* Construction. It is very well built, although some of it is plastic. However, this is advanage compare with heavy 17-35. I quite like it and the quality is not bad at all. But it is quite long and you still prepare a bigger bag for it.
* Sharpness. Very good, no complaint. From a quick look, the pictures shot by F4 and F8 are not obviously different.
* Distortion. It is not uncommon for a wide lens, but the distortion at 16mm does have some impact. You may want to do some correction in the PS.
* VR. Handy, especially in dark.
* F4. I think I will not pursuing F2.8 with this lens in my hand. It is good enough.
* Macro. Interstingly, it can focus at a short distance. This is useful when you want to do a quick macro without changing lense.