Panasonic DMC-FS3 Review
|Full model name:||Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS3|
|Sensor size:||1/2.5 inch
(5.8mm x 4.3mm)
|Extended ISO:||100 - 6400|
|Shutter:||1/2000 - 60 sec|
3.7 x 2.1 x 0.9 in.
(95 x 53 x 23 mm)
|Full specs:||Panasonic DMC-FS3 specifications|
Panasonic FS3 Intro
Panasonic unveils its slim and stylish Lumix DMC-FS3 digital camera, which packs the company's advanced features such as Intelligent ISO, Intelligent Scene Selector and Face Detection into a pocket-sized digicam.
Panasonic FS3 Features
The Panasonic FS3 is based around an 8.1 megapixel image sensor and a Leica DC Vario-Elmarit branded F2.8 - F5.1 3x zoom with optical stabilization. Images are framed and reviewed on a 2.5" LCD display with 230,000 pixel resolution, and stored on SD / SDHC / MMC cards or the camera's own 50MB built-in memory. Power comes from a proprietary Lithium Ion battery pack, rated for some 330 shots on a charge (CIPA standard testing with 50% flash usage at room temperature).
Additional Panasonic FS3 features and details (adapted from the press release):
The DMC-FS3 features a new image-processing LSI, the Venus Engine IV, which contains a more advanced signal processing technology for rendering higher-quality images and produces a faster response time. In addition, the camera boasts the new Intelligent LCD, meaning the 2.5-inc LCD screen detects the lighting condition and controls the brightness level to offer optimal clarity in any situation, whether dark or light; indoors or outdoors.
Many consumers today are looking for pocket-sized, easy-to-use cameras that take crisp, high-quality pictures, said Alex Fried, National Marketing Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. With the DMC-FS3, were giving consumers what they want: a sleek, stylish compact digital camera that still packs powerful advanced imaging technologies, such as Panasonics Intelligent Auto Mode.
Panasonics Intelligent Auto Mode is comprised of five distinct technologies designed to provide users with intuitive and automatic camera adjustments no matter the shooting condition and without the user having to do anything manually.
- MEGA O.I.S. Gyrosensors in the Panasonic FS3 detect hand-shake and the lens system shifts to compensate, helping to prevent hand-shake from creating a blurry image.
- Intelligent ISO Can determine if the photo subject is moving and change the ISO setting and shutter speed accordingly, thus giving a blur-free photo.
- Intelligent Scene Selector The Panasonic FS3 senses the ambient conditions, recognizes the shooting environment and will automatically select the appropriate scene mode from: Scenery, Portrait, Macro, Night Portrait or Night Scenery mode.
- Face Detection Panasonics Face Detection detects up to 15 faces anywhere in the frame, even if they are moving, and automatically chooses the optimal focus and exposure settings so portraits come out clear and crisp.
- Quick AF The Panasonic FS3's Quick AF (auto focus) system starts focus on the subject by just pointing the camera to the subject, thus minimizing the AF time.
- Title Edit function which allows the consumer to input text to accompany a photo, for instance, the names of children or travel locations.
- The Panasonic FS3 has 50 MB internal memory.
- The FS3 records WVGA (848 x 480) motion images at 30 frames per second in a 16:9 aspect ratio, ideal for viewing on High Definition televisions, such as Panasonic VIERA Plasmas and LCDs.
- The Lumix FS3 is compatible with optional marine case, DMW-MCFS5, for underwater shooting.
Panasonic FS3 Pricing and Availability
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS3 will go on sale in the USA from February 2008, priced at about $200.
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate